+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Best Olympic Moments

I'm not a fan of sport at all but get sucking into the Olympics every time. Women's weightlifting has never been more fascinating to me

But I was reminiscing about past Olympics and moments that really stuck out for me.

The biggest standout best moment in my mind was the 2000 Olympics swimming. Eric Moussaambani from Equatorial Guinea. He had never been in an Olympic pool and wasn't a fantastic swimmer but he got out there and swam his heart out by himself and finished the race. I thought he was absolutely amazing and it still makes me a little teary just thinking about it.

What about you? What is the best Olympic moment for you?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a few:

Matthew Mitcham winning gold in Beijing. He's such a lovely guy IRL and I was super happy for him

Agree with you with Eric Moussaambani - totally heartwarming <3

There are lots actually. I cried when a Chinese girl won a swimming race she was an underdog for the other night
    Last edited by rainbow road; 30-07-2012 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Years ago Kerry shrug a us gymnast had an extremely bad ankle injury and the teams gold depended on her pulling off a near perfect vault. She did so and her and the team won gold.

When that Aussie guy in the speed skating zoomed home for gold cause the other two fell over.

Cathy freeman winning pretty much everything.

Jane Seville winning the walk after previously being disqualified....

Gymnastics in general....

Keiran Perkins winning the 1500 meters..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    When that Aussie guy in the speed skating zoomed home for gold cause the other two fell over.
    Keiran Perkins winning the 1500 meters..
    These.. And Matthew Mitcham winning the diving at the last games..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post

The biggest standout best moment in my mind was the 2000 Olympics swimming. Eric Moussaambani from Equatorial Guinea. He had never been in an Olympic pool and wasn't a fantastic swimmer but he got out there and swam his heart out by himself and finished the race. I thought he was absolutely amazing and it still makes me a little teary just thinking about it.?
    I remember this one...
    Also Gillian Rolton in the equestrian who fell off 2 or 3 times during the cross country and finished with a broken collar bone and ribs, the team won gold

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was going to say Eric Moussa...(?) as well

My favourite though, was Derek Redmond in Barcelona, 1992. I was too young to remember, but have seen several YouTube clips of it.

His hamstring snapped halfway through his sprint and he dropped to the ground like a tonne of bricks. He was desperate to at least finish the race and kept pushing the medics away, hobbling along in great agony. His Dad jumped up off the sideline, pushed past some security guards and put his arm around him and said 'We'll finish this together". And they did

His father was actually asked to carry the torch in London for this Olympic games

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-07-2012),Mulva  (30-07-2012),Pearl Barley  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Okay so I know this is slightly OT but Brisbane is hinted at bidding for the 2024 Olympics. I WOULD LOVE if Aus hosted Olympics again. I'd love to be able to have kids young enough to take to see some events.

That's all

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Okay so I know this is slightly OT but Brisbane is hinted at bidding for the 2024 Olympics. I WOULD LOVE if Aus hosted Olympics again. I'd love to be able to have kids young enough to take to see some events.

That's all
    Really?! That's awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently. 2024 or 2028. Melbourne also want to, but the AOC have hinted at Brisbane.

It's gotta come back to Australia eventually!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I was going to say Eric Moussa...(?) as well

My favourite though, was Derek Redmond in Barcelona, 1992. I was too young to remember, but have seen several YouTube clips of it.

His hamstring snapped halfway through his sprint and he dropped to the ground like a tonne of bricks. He was desperate to at least finish the race and kept pushing the medics away, hobbling along in great agony. His Dad jumped up off the sideline, pushed past some security guards and put his arm around him and said 'We'll finish this together". And they did

His father was actually asked to carry the torch in London for this Olympic games
    I am going to YouTube that tonight.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (30-07-2012)