+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I don't know how we're going to be able to stop co-sleeping

We have co-slept with DS since he was born, and now I am pregnant with twins so we're talking about getting him into his cot a lot more. We've been talking about it since we brought him home, 8 months later we're still talking about it, we've tried a few times, but he cried like he's being tortured and i can't handle it. I honestly don't know if I even want to end it, I feel better with him next to me, I can feed him if he wakes for a feed and even though I am awake I still feel rested. DH doesn't even notice that he wakes at all through the night even thought he does twice.

But with twins on the way I really think I need to get DS into his cot. And get him sleeping through the night. We're not going to start co-sleeping with the twins but how am I going to get DS into his own cot before they get here without the crying.

He won't even sleep in his cot during the day, I try to just leave him in it sometimes so he enjoys some time in there but he doesn't last long these days before he wants out of it. If I am in the room he's fine but as soon as I leave he wants out. But if I put him down in there when he's asleep he wakes up straight away.

I don't know what I'm going to do or how I'm going to do it. :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took one side off the cot and set the cot up as a side car next to my bed. I could comfort baby and she could crawl into the bed. If you have it the same height as the main bed, you can even breastfeed baby with them in the cot and you in the main bed.

At first she only slept in it for an hour or so, and then came on to the mainbed. Over time, she was more comfortable sleeping on her own surface. We did this without crying.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (29-07-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have space in your room to bring his cot in there as a transition?
    That way he'd be in the room with you but in his own space?

I am sure others will post soon that have had loads of experience with this sort if thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    no idea...DD is nearly 2 and i still don't have her sorted...

2 queen matresses on the floor and all sleep together??

congrat's on your twins though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 2 yr old sleeps in a toddler bed next to our bed. I've just moved it next yk my husband's side so the cot is on my side in preparation for our twins! DS still comes into our bed early morning (anywhere between 2-7) so my husband will probably have to take him into another room if I've got a twin in the bed. Could you try the sidecar cot or toddler bed next to your bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're more occasional cosleepers these days. DD is nearly 2. When she was tiny I had her bassinet right up against our bed and she would transfer to it after a feed if I had my hand on her. A friend since suggested putting your T-shirt over the bassinet mattress so it smells like you.

Anyway, to move DD into her own cot I started with day sleeps only and got her used to the room first by wheeling her bassinet in there. We also got her attached to a couple of special sleep toys which were a comfort. I coslept with her and those first too so they had mummy scent. If your DS doesn't have his own soothing mechanism I recommend this. DD still strokes the labels on her sleep toys to self settle. You'll know what your bubs prefers! Then we moved her into the cot for day sleeps and finally night sleeps as well. That process took about 2-3 months.

We also had a pretty solid routine of always doing the same things at bedtime from about 6 months. Saying goodnight to the toys in her room, a story in there and a song before lights out. I mostly did night feeds in her room but would bring her into our bed for the last one before 'morning'.

She still spends most nights in her own bed but of course all bets are off with teething, sickness etc and we cosleep then. I love it at times but I also have another bub on the way and value the undisturbed sleep!

Good luck with the transition, take your time and you'll get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd still co sleeps with me and she is 5. I love having her snuggle with. I'll be in the same boat as you when I have number 2.