+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Affect pop music has on a child's behaviour

Hello,
    I am currently doing an assignment for Child Studies at school and my topic is on the affect that pop music and music videos can have on a child's behaviour.

I was just wondering whether you would be able to answer these questions that I post in here to help me out with gathering opinions & information.

Thankyou!

1. How old are your children?

2. Do your children listen to music on the radio?

3. Do your children watch pop music videos?

4. How often do your children listen to music on the radio/video clips?

5. Would your children rather listen to music on the radio than bands such as The Wiggles?

6. Do you believe that the music played on the radio today/video clips are suitable for children to listen to?

7. What concerns do you have regarding the music that is played on the radio?

8. Do you think pop music and music videos has a positive or negative impact on a child’s behaviour (please give a reason for your response)

9. Do you turn off the music (radio or video) when certain songs/lyrics are played? Why?

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Five year old girl, turning 6 in October 2012

Very rarely.

No, never.

Very rarely, only when the cd we have in the car isn't suitable for young ears.

5. Would your children rather listen to music on the radio than bands such as The Wiggles?

It depends what's on the radio. She prefers older artists like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, James Brown, Johnny Cash, The Blues Brothers, Leonard Cohen, people like that.
    The only modern artist she likes is Toby Keith, the country singer. Unsure why, but she's really latched onto his music.

She liked The Wiggles for about a year when she was 2-3 years old, but that's it for kid's bands.

If it's modern music we switch it over or turn it off, as we don't like it either.

6. Do you believe that the music played on the radio today/video clips are suitable for children to listen to?

Absolutely not.

Obvious sexual terminology, swearing, adult themes, violence, sexism {towards both sexes equally} and racism.

8. Do you think pop music and music videos has a positive or negative impact on a child’s behaviour (please give a reason for your response)

Negative. A child cannot constantly listen to songs about adult themes without taking away a positive view of those themes. A parent encouraging and finding humour in a young child talking about adult themes further adds to the positive vibe.

9. Do you turn off the music (radio or video) when certain songs/lyrics are played? Why?

Yes. We don't want our 5 year old girl thinking that drinking too much and sleeping with random men is worthy of applause or fame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    2.5 yrs old

Yes, usually quietly in the background.

Do sesame st remixes count? Eg. I'm Elmo and I know it

Rarely. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

No. I don't mind if he wants to listen to the Wiggles.

Video clips definitely not. Music, some of it is, definitely not all of it depending on what station and song is on.

Bad language. Violent/sexual themes. Basically things that I don't think a 2 yr old needs to be exposed to and I don't think is suitable for him to repeat he doesn't get to listen to.

I think it really depends on the song and the theme of it. Eg. Upbeat happy songs have a positive impact because it makes them happy and he sings and dances to it. For older kids i've seen songs cause negative impact if they listen to the same kind for a long timeand they become angry or rude over little things.

Yes I do. I don't want him to repeat certain language used in songs or if I just don't like the song I will change it.