+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    I am currently on maternity leave - 4 weeks in to it.

I totally agree that parents (both female and male) should be able to access maternity leave and the governments ppl. I think the government has made an initial step in the right direction.

I am very fortunate to work for an employer that is giving me 44 weeks of maternity leave at half my current pay and on top of that I can access the governments PPL (which will be paid via my employer). So all up i am taking 13 months off and essentially being paid just over half my current wage for that time. They hold my position for me and i have a very flexible return to work option. There is no expectation that i will return, and if i do return if it will be at full time or part time. Very very generous IMO.

I would really like to see the governments PPL extended for those that dont have any or very little employer paid maternity leave. I think everyone should be able to take at least a year off.
    wow, that is really really good! very lucky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    TOTALLY for it.

The company I worked for had a 16 week at full pay policy long before I started, which was YEARS before the government bought their PPL policy in.

They've altered that now so you can take up to a year, but 16 weeks of full pay is pretty awesome. PLUS we still qualify for the government's parental leave scheme.

Totally for it. The more women/men who can stay at home with their child in that first year at least the better. AND mums are more likely to come back to that company after leave if they know they have that support.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by austmum View Post
    I'm a stay at home mother and it's never applied to me personally but, I'm for it 100% too.
    Ditto

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm for it, it's the only assistance the govt has ever provided me and when it finishes i will return back to the workforce and continue to make contributions to the community and govt by paying my huge amount of tax every fortnight

for ppl against it what's the difference between paid maternity leave and ppl in the doll? the only thing I can think of is that ppl on paid mat leave actually contribute to the community and pay taxes opposed to those that 'barely try' to obtain work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Newmum2012 For This Useful Post:

belzy  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I understand the reasons why such schemes are introduced and the economic drive behind them but I also cannot escape the thought that we have babies because we want to and that when this is the case we should finance them (or our time off work).
    So having babies should be restricted to only those that can afford the time off? That's one way to shift the socioeconomic balance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally for it. It is so refreshing that the government is starting to support working families more. I agree that it should be at least six months to help with bf rates and believe that the baby bonus should be scrapped for sahm that already receive government support in order to accommodate this change. At the end if the day it is about helping babies to have the best start possible. But I am not in charge, so doesn't really matter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    I am currently on maternity leave - 4 weeks in to it.

I totally agree that parents (both female and male) should be able to access maternity leave and the governments ppl. I think the government has made an initial step in the right direction.

I am very fortunate to work for an employer that is giving me 44 weeks of maternity leave at half my current pay and on top of that I can access the governments PPL (which will be paid via my employer). So all up i am taking 13 months off and essentially being paid just over half my current wage for that time. They hold my position for me and i have a very flexible return to work option. There is no expectation that i will return, and if i do return if it will be at full time or part time. Very very generous IMO.

I would really like to see the governments PPL extended for those that dont have any or very little employer paid maternity leave. I think everyone should be able to take at least a year off.
    Whoa... That is an awesome deal..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For it. It cost my employer thousands to train me, their flexibility and ppl will retain me and their investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally for it, if you go to work pay your taxes you should definitely be entitled to it... Feels like you get a little bit back. Nothing annoys me more when ppl are on the doll and keep having kids once their youngest is at school so they don't have to go back to work. As already mentioned if I pay my $17000 in tax a year I deserve to get something back!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou89 For This Useful Post:

belzy  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmum2012 View Post
    I'm for it, it's the only assistance the govt has ever provided me and when it finishes i will return back to the workforce and continue to make contributions to the community and govt by paying my huge amount of tax every fortnight

for ppl against it what's the difference between paid maternity leave and ppl in the doll? the only thing I can think of is that ppl on paid mat leave actually contribute to the community and pay taxes opposed to those that 'barely try' to obtain work
    I think you mean "dole" and ppl is only for people who have worked in the 10 months (?) leading up to the child's birth, not people who are out of work, dole or otherwise.