+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The government pays it. Some workplaces also pay. When my nephew was born, my brother and his wife could afford 9 months off through government paid ppl, employer paid ppl and holiday pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HowCrazyCool View Post
    Does every business pay for their employees? Or only certain business's?
    Not entirely sure but I believe it is up to each employer to set up/ define their own maternity leave policy and whether or not it includes any paid leave or just allows the role to be held for them for a set period (usually 12 months).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't think private businesses should be out of pocket just so an employee can have kids. If they want to, of their own accord, offer a mat Leave package then good on them.

I think the government is in the right track with ppl.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For it. 100%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a stay at home mother and it's never applied to me personally but, I'm for it 100% too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, we couldn't afford to pay it, we have only been in business for 2.5 years. I would hold the job open for her as long as she needed though.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As compared to what?

Dumping a newborn baby on a stranger so Mum can go back to work?

I don't understand why it took so long for maternity leave to be introduced.

I'd question the morals of anyone who supported a tiny baby being shunted between random caretakers, and only getting minimal and erratic contact with it's mother.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (29-07-2012),lones  (30-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For it. I think that the government should extend theirs though - that would be simply fantastic.
    I do understand that it might be hard for small businesses to pay it, but for the larger companies absolutely.
    From what I understand, the baby bonus is now done as 13 fortnightly installments. No more lump sum. This is what I was told last year when trying to decide between that & the govt PPL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think we just have to look at Sweden that pays 15 months I think? PPL and not surprisingly has the highest bfing rates in the world around 75% from memory at 6 months? Of course PPL wouldn't be the only factor (they have an awesome health system with free LC's as well).

But there are lots of benefits beyond just making having kids that bit easier.
    I'm all for mat leave and ppl.

For the record though, countries like Sweden where there is extensive paid maternity leave, and support networks also have an expectation that the parent will return to full time work once that leave us finished.
    A friend lives in Norway and says that there is enormous expectation regarding that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently on maternity leave - 4 weeks in to it.

I totally agree that parents (both female and male) should be able to access maternity leave and the governments ppl. I think the government has made an initial step in the right direction.

I am very fortunate to work for an employer that is giving me 44 weeks of maternity leave at half my current pay and on top of that I can access the governments PPL (which will be paid via my employer). So all up i am taking 13 months off and essentially being paid just over half my current wage for that time. They hold my position for me and i have a very flexible return to work option. There is no expectation that i will return, and if i do return if it will be at full time or part time. Very very generous IMO.

I would really like to see the governments PPL extended for those that dont have any or very little employer paid maternity leave. I think everyone should be able to take at least a year off.