+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from but if this was the case, I would not be able to have another child (no guarantee I will anyway ), the same as a lot of other people. We didn't create ridiculously high housing prices and cost of living, but does that mean we, who do work but still struggle, should be excluded from having children? In a country with an ageing population, we do need to be mindful of maintaining the birth rate.
    The government created high living costs, the government needs to make up for it by PPL and affordable, ACCESSIBLE childcare.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

chubbasmummy  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from but if this was the case, I would not be able to have another child (no guarantee I will anyway ), the same as a lot of other people. We didn't create ridiculously high housing prices and cost of living, but does that mean we, who do work but still struggle, should be excluded from having children? In a country with an ageing population, we do need to be mindful of maintaining the birth rate.
    Agreed. The notion that parents should not receive any assistance at all for having a child (be that FTB, PPL, baby bonus) would mean only rich people could afford to have children. While having lots of kids on welfare is not best case scenario, there are lots of families out there working, and still needing a little assistance to have kids... and as you say with an aging pop we need to keep the birth rate up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Chumly  (29-07-2012),giggle berry  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I understand all of this and the reasons all make sense, I guess that I just find it hard to reconcile this knowledge with my feelings about people being responsible for their own financial stability (not including cases of medical issues, short term unemployment).

It is a weird position for me to find myself in having this conflicting opinion being a female in a professional industry fighting for people's rights, but here I am heh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am totally 100% supportive of paid maternity leave. It allows parents to stay home with their children, for what is quite a short time anyway (4 months if you are relying solely on commonwealth PPL). I actually think it should be 6 months minimum. It's good for the economy, good for the population, etc. We are all raising future taxpayers after all. I don't think subsidising child care centers and encouraging women back into the workforce straightaway is necessarily the best option -it should be a valid, feasible, doable choice if women want to stay home with their babies.

The baby bonus, well I don't know how I feel about that. I see its value for many people, eg SAHMs, etc. but I do feel young, unemployed, drug addicted bogans use it as another reason to breed and I know a fair chunk of it has been spent on drugs, alcohol and plasma screen tvs. I think there should be a disincentive for bogans to have more kids, not an incentive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Tilly5  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think we just have to look at Sweden that pays 15 months I think? PPL and not surprisingly has the highest bfing rates in the world around 75% from memory at 6 months? Of course PPL wouldn't be the only factor (they have an awesome health system with free LC's as well).

But there are lots of benefits beyond just making having kids that bit easier.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (29-07-2012),HarvestMoon  (29-07-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm definitely for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely for it. Not sure from an employers perspective on paid leave as it could kill small businesses. But the government ppl definitely. We work, we pay our taxes. Why shouldn't we get something when there are people out there who just go and get pregnant every year so they can get paid more by the government while never having worked a day in their life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

belzy  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does every business pay for their employees? Or only certain business's? My cousin/secretary for our business is 6 weeks pregnant. Im sure i could not afford to pay for her and another person who i will have to hire once the baby comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm definitely for it.

I'm 22 and because of PPL we can afford to have a baby now. My sister threw herself into her career through her 20's so they could be comfortable enough to have a child later. She's now 35 and going through IVF as she couldn't fall naturally; much of the expense of her current treatment is covered by Medicare (per treatment, I think she's about $300 out of pocket with Medicare paying around $4,700). Meaning its cheaper for Australia if people have children earlier in life and don't have to worry about age as a factor.

Also, there are plenty of people who make the choice not to work and live off welfare. I think it's only fair that working people receive some govt funding as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm for it for all the obvious reasons that previous posters have mentioned. There is a difference between using it for some support when having children and taking advantage of it as I'm sure some people try to do but this could happen to government payments in any way not just maternity/paternity payments or those directly related to having children. I think it's a good thing that families have this help in a time when living costs are rising and many families are struggling. It means that more parents can enjoy their children instead of having to rush off to work as soon as they are born and you know what? Some people still have to do that (and also some want to which is fine too if that's what they want)

I see it as a step forward