+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are you against maternity leave & ppl being paid to workers?

As the title states..? Are you all for it, or against it? Some friends of mine today were debating it.. some were for and some were against saying ''why should someone pay someone else to stay home and have a baby''?

I've never been in the situation myself, where I have to pay for someone to go on maternity leave etc as the business we run is a Carpentry business... only males do the job pretty much.. i'm the only female/person who runs things from the admin side alongside with our accountant ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Big fat NO! I am not against it. everybody should have the chance to stay at home with their baby.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 29-07-2012 at 18:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was a long time coming!

Baby bonus on the other hand, I think it should be smaller amounts paid with tax over a few years. Help out when they are younger. I never agreed with the lump sum but not sure how I feel about it in installments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my old boss really got nasty when anyone fell pregnant. I remember trying to concieve for over 2 years and all he did was laugh and make jokes that i couldn't fall pregnant... couple times made me cry, i found it really upsetting. another lady at work did fall pregnant and boy he made her life hard. he used to reduce her to tears as well. i left a while later, and then 6 months later fell pregnant.. thank god i wasn't working for him by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to be honest and say that I do not know how I feel about paid maternity leave, the same as I do not know what I think about the baby bonus etc.

I understand the reasons why such schemes are introduced and the economic drive behind them but I also cannot escape the thought that we have babies because we want to and that when this is the case we should finance them (or our time off work).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I agree with maternity leave. It allows women to have time off with their baby rather than race back to work. It's all well and good to say people should save up/plan ahead but That really depends on your line of work/personal situation. We are also way behind other countries with this.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Chumly  (29-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am currently on maternity leave so yes, I am for it!

My employer sees it as a way of retaining employees (and with that the investment they have already made in them) that may otherwise not return to work after having a baby.

I am lucky that I work for a company that is really supportive to working mums and dads
    Last edited by giggle berry; 29-07-2012 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    100% support paid mat leave.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I have to be honest and say that I do not know how I feel about paid maternity leave, the same as I do not know what I think about the baby bonus etc.

I understand the reasons why such schemes are introduced and the economic drive behind them but I also cannot escape the thought that we have babies because we want to and that when this is the case we should finance them (or our time off work).
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from but if this was the case, I would not be able to have another child (no guarantee I will anyway ), the same as a lot of other people. We didn't create ridiculously high housing prices and cost of living, but does that mean we, who do work but still struggle, should be excluded from having children? In a country with an ageing population, we do need to be mindful of maintaining the birth rate.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

delirium  (29-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (30-07-2012),share a book  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For it. If it were affordable for most families to live off one income (even if they had to struggle a bit) I might feel different.