+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Growing herbs

Hi all just after some tips on growing herbs and also what herbs you use most often. I was thinking of getting corriander, mint, oregano and basil

Ive tried growing herbs before (purchased corriander but id just died) so not sure if im better off buying already potted or buying the herb garden kits with seeds etc? Also will have to grow outside so not sure how the cold weather will affect growth.

Any info and tips much appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump! Anyone??

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd start with mint, sage, parsley, oregano and rosemary. They are the ones I have managed to keep alive the longest and i don't know squat about gardening! They are in pots on my balcony and they get watered when i remember but other wise left alone. Basil and coriander are a little more delicate it seems, well mine always are.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Parsley and rosemary grow really easily. I can't keep basil alive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks i do have rosemary growing already. Hah i forgot i even had it so shows how much attention it gets must be pretty hardy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wait til summer for basil. Mine just died in the frost. I think coriander is the same. Don't plant mint in the garden because it takes over. Parsley is great at this time of year though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (29-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We grow basil, oregano, Italian parsley, mint and rosemary in terracotta pots (bought the pots, herbs & potting mix from Bunnings).

I haven't got a gardening bone in my body, so they die a lot. I'm often replacing my herbs My parents are avid gardeners - their main advice I can recall was to pot the mint separately as it spreads easily, and to keep it damp (mint loves a damp environment) and in the shade. Basil is not a fan of cold climates and likes the sun. My parsley never dies and I don't give it any special treatment, so it must be very easy to grow