+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe that sports are important. I believe that of all extra curriculars. I will be giving DD every opportunity to get into sports by starting her at a youngish age, but I will NOT force her if she decides she doesn't like it. I agree with your DH with regards to the benefits of sports too.

Kids love sports, it's overly competitive parents who are the problem!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPies View Post
    I believe that sports are important. I believe that of all extra curriculars. I will be giving DD every opportunity to get into sports by starting her at a youngish age, but I will NOT force her if she decides she doesn't like it. I agree with your DH with regards to the benefits of sports too.

Kids love sports, it's overly competitive parents who are the problem!

Nope, kids don't always love sports. I hated them and it had absolutely nothing to do with my parents. Like I said in my post, if you are c**p at sport and forced to do it (by the school etc) it can be very damaging. Gees, I still have shudders thinking about it and it was 15 years ago!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Nope, kids don't always love sports. I hated them and it had absolutely nothing to do with my parents. Like I said in my post, if you are c**p at sport and forced to do it (by the school etc) it can be very damaging. Gees, I still have shudders thinking about it and it was 15 years ago!
    Over generalisation maybe, but I mean young kids.. We started DD in swimming at 6mo and will put her in some 'sports' around 2-3 yo. As I say if my DD had the feelings you described and really didn't enjoy it I wouldn't force it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Physical activity is important, but they can learn teamwork, discipline etc just as well by playing an instrument in an orchestra, being involved in a play or musical, plenty of other things.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (29-07-2012),Sariele  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think physical activity is important be that sport ,just general playing,dancing etc etc.

I think it provides an opportunity to increase fitness, social skills and general enjoyment of life.

I do not agree with parents forcing kids to participate in activities they have no interest in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPies View Post
    Over generalisation maybe, but I mean young kids.. We started DD in swimming at 6mo and will put her in some 'sports' around 2-3 yo. As I say if my DD had the feelings you described and really didn't enjoy it I wouldn't force it.

Ah yes I agree. And I did see that you said you wouldn't force her if she didn't like it.

What does everyone think about mandatory sports in high school? I don't know if it mostly a private school thing but we were all forced to do a sport, chosen from a limited range of school sports (the usual netball, hockey, tennis etc). It was awful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    What does everyone think about mandatory sports in high school? I don't know if it mostly a private school thing but we were all forced to do a sport, chosen from a limited range of school sports (the usual netball, hockey, tennis etc). It was awful
    At my high school PE was mandatory, and we also had to do it as one of our (GCSE) exam subjects that you do in the final year.

For the exam it was 50% theory and 50% practical, and the practical components consisted of athletics events, and then your choice between certain racquet sports, ball sports, extra ones (like trampolining/ badminton/ gymnastics, etc.)

Personally I liked it. I didn't enjoy every sport, but it gave me a solid chance to sample lots of different types of sport and really get to know which I loved (hello netball) and which I hated (goodbye hockey).

It also meant that up until the age of 16 we were all doing SOME activity at least twice a week, which was healthy.

There are always subjects you don't like at school, but I think it's good for kids to be fairly well rounded in the topics they cover (e.g., maths, sciences, arts, languages, sport, etc.) and the theory side of PE was great for learning more about physiology, nutrition, fitness, etc.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had to do 2 sports per year and had the choice of:

Summer: diving, swimming, softball, athletics, tennis
    Autumn: Basketball, athletics, tennis
    Winter: netball, hockey, athletics, tennis
    Spring: touch football, swimming, cricket, diving, athletics, tennis

I had no issue with it and nor did most of my friends, even the least sporty ones did cricket and fielded etc. but I don't think it is a good policy to be compulsory. But it was what it was!

I think you had the option to umpire/time keep if you really couldn't or didn't want to play sport and it would really affect you to have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I think it's important to be active and social and hope our boys enjoy sports as much as Dh and I did. Our ds aged 4 already loves kicking the footy and is disapointed he has to wait until he is 5 before he can play Aussie rules so that's positive! As long as kids enjoy it, have fun and aren't told they have to win win win its a positive experience. We would much rather our children be active and exercising rather than slothing in front of the tv or computer games.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    See I liked the compulsory sport at school because to be honest if as a teenager if i had a choice i probably wouldn't do it!
    the school we are sending DS to has compulsory Saturday sport from 4th class, they have a choice of: soccer, rugby, cricket, basketball, tennis, volleyball, track and field, water polo, diving, swimming and fencing and snow sports in winter . My OB son goes there and he said his son is not really sporty but at least he had the opportunity to try all the different sports and he just chose swimming as his Saturday sport