+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I think activity is important, and that kids can gain a lot from sport - including things like team work, team spirit, gracious winning and losing, work ethic/ working toward a goal, respect for your body, and competitiveness.

DD seems to love everything physical so far. She does swimming and gymnastics so far, but nothing else. She's only 2 but has been asking to do ballet (I think Angelina + Dora might have something to do with that), and I'm happy to give her the opportunity to try anything that she might like to do.
    I took that approach. A term/season in different things when young. She turns 9 soon and has done dancing, gymnastics, AFL, tennis, Little Athletics, swimming, trampoline sports and about to try something different. Little Athletics is by season, from March to September, everything else is by term. She has so far done 3 seasons of Little Athletics (now will only participate in long jump, 70m sprint and 100m sprint), 2 terms of gymnastics and has done continuous swimming from birth. 1 term of tennis, AFL, dancing and trampoline sports, but wants to continue trampoline sports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I took that approach. A term/season in different things when young. She turns 9 soon and has done dancing, gymnastics, AFL, tennis, Little Athletics, swimming, trampoline sports and about to try something different. Little Athletics is by season, from March to September, everything else is by term. She has so far done 3 seasons of Little Athletics (now will only participate in long jump, 70m sprint and 100m sprint), 2 terms of gymnastics and has done continuous swimming from birth. 1 term of tennis, AFL, dancing and trampoline sports, but wants to continue trampoline sports.
    That's awesome for your DD! Great for her to have the chance to sample lots of things and continue those she loves and drop the ones she doesn't.

I love that DD already gets so excited about going to gymnastics. We're in the car going there and she says: "I walk on the beam! I climb the ladder! I go through tunnels! I sit on the mat! (etc.)" And afterwards she says "I love gymnastics!" Same for swimming

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    That's awesome for your DD! Great for her to have the chance to sample lots of things and continue those she loves and drop the ones she doesn't.

I love that DD already gets so excited about going to gymnastics. We're in the car going there and she says: "I walk on the beam! I climb the ladder! I go through tunnels! I sit on the mat! (etc.)" And afterwards she says "I love gymnastics!" Same for swimming
    I have also trialled knitting but was unable to do it here but will try again because she enjoyed it (house was not set upp, too many animals lol) and she loves jigsaw puzzles and scrapbooking, so we are not limited to just physical activity,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think it's important, but with my eldest now 12, my views on it have changed slightly. I still think it's great for their fitness and to be diciplined, but the competitiveness, in some instances, can be completely over the top, and not just with the kids. Some parents seem to almost revel in their child's superiority over others, and don't discourage overly aggressive behavior (I'm talking junior rugby league here), so while a bit of competition is great, I don't think the pushing and shoving and name calling that seems to go along with the game in 10 or 11 year old is acceptable. However it seems that kids of this age have to defend themselves because it's seen as just part of the game. This part of sport, I don't like.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think sport is important, if it's something they enjoy (if they don't enjoy team sports, they shouldn't be forced into it and physical activity is sufficient).

I think being a part of a team is really important, no matter what the team is.

I played netball, hockey, touch football and softball with school, did competitive diving and basketball and loved every minute of it!

My brothers, however, aren't into sport at all but they love walking their dog and they do Scouts, which is a great way for them to learn to operate in teams without the sport factor

DP played volleyball for NSW and Australia (sadly stopped due to injury) and I know she'd love to have our kids involved in sport if they want to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think sport/activities is very important, but I will not force them to play, apart from swimming. When I say force them to do swimming, I mean they will do lessons until I am confident they are independent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No,
    I was never a sport kid, i am extremely unco, cant catch a ball, cant hit a ball etc cant run, cant jump high jumps etc.

Thankfully i have medical conditions i could use as to why i did not do sport,

The only time i have ever voluntarily done sport was when i had a lovely p.e teacher who tried to help me ... the other kids bullied me something atrocious for it so i never tried again

I never found 'team spirit' , children either laughed or groaned at me
    Eta - if ds WANTS to play sports i will actively encourage that, if he wants to do drama acting i will encourage that. As long as his interests are.legal and dont hurt people i will encourage them.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 29-07-2012 at 18:07.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (29-07-2012)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's super important. I was heavily involved in sport my whole childhood and I believe it played a big part in why I was "easy to raise" according to my mum. DH and I are quite involved in our footy netball club, both playing, and Ds spends all Saturday down there. He loves it already at only 2 and I live that he has some sort of freedom there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on the child.

I think it's important to give each child multiple chances to participate in sport... But at the end of the day, some of us are too uncoordinated and/don't find it enjoyable and that's ok!

***Sent from my phone***

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. But only competitive when they are older.

Ds has been doing preschool soccer for 18months and swimming for a year.