• On The Fence

5 6.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    You do realise that the police are capable of managing more than one task at once, right?

I take it from your post you feel that the police (and society in general) should be able to cherry pick which laws to obey based on whether each individual happens to think its worthy?

Fir example, I believe in the legalization of marijuana use for adults. While i dont smoke marijuana, I do think it's silly that the police waste their time enforcing laws which just help create massive crime syndicates where criminals become rich, and all for a drug which is less damaging to society and individuals than alcohol. So they should just stop arresting people who break the law for smoking or growing marijuana because I think its silly, right?
    Yes i am aware the police can do multiple things.

In THIS case however the mother is being a freaking time wasting moron and showing clearly why this law does not work properly.

You can not seriously think this 18 year old deserves to be labled a pedophile for the next 10 years for having sex with his *just* under 2 years younger KNOWN girl friend!

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (29-07-2012),VicPark  (30-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And let me follow up my previouspost by saying that based on the small amount of detail in the OP, I do think this situation sounds incredibly unfair. If this was truly consensual, in a long term relationship with both parents' consent then fir him to be on a sex offenders register is grossly unfair.

However I would imagine that there is little ambiguity in this law for the simple fact that it is designed to protect the vulnerable. Yes, in this case, it appears to have failed. But once courts start saying 'its illegal, except in this or that circumstance' then you set precedents where a bad person might intimidate or manipulate a minor into saying there was consent etc.

Its unfortunate and sad for all involved. And I can only assume the mother may feel deep deep regret fir the chain of events she set into motion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nemmi, nowhere in my reply to you did I say the young man deserved any of this.

Additionally I've clarified my position in a second post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Yes i am aware the police can do multiple things.

In THIS case however the mother is being a freaking time wasting moron and showing clearly why this law does not work properly.

You can not seriously think this 18 year old deserves to be labled a pedophile for the next 10 years for having sex with his *just* under 2 years younger KNOWN girl friend!

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Whoa... I agree 100% with Nemmi...

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven read replies, just the OP but I think that's incredibly unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the eyes of the law, the relationship was never going to be considered consensual. At 15, she does not get to make that decision, nor do her parents or his. In the same way, parents who buy their 15 year old alcohol or cigarettes and 'give' their consent to the child consuming them are overridden by the law which states it is illegal to do so.

I can imagine a scenario where an innocent teenage romance is sanctioned by parents as long as guidelines and rules are followed: no hanky panky. Mumma bear came raging in when she realised the rules were being broken. A very harsh lesson for the young man concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin got his girl friend pregnant when she was 15 and he was 18. He wanted to keep the child with his parents support but her parents said she had to give the child up for adoption or they would charge him with rape. There wasn't a pedophile register then.

She gave the child up. They later got married and had another child. It was a pretty sad situation.

I think this law ( the pedo one) should have an age gap application. Eg 18 and 15 ok. 28 and 15 is not. This case doesn't seem fair well not the register but my son when old enough will be warned as should all boys, about under age sex, along with STDs and pregnancy. When I was 16/17/18 boys used to check if we were fooling around and might go down that path. Famous people such as rock stars etc ask for proof of age as many have mistaken a girl for older and then been threatened by parents who planned the whole thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfair. Such a sad situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    In the eyes of the law, the relationship was never going to be considered consensual. At 15, she does not get to make that decision, nor do her parents or his. In the same way, parents who buy their 15 year old alcohol or cigarettes and 'give' their consent to the child consuming them are overridden by the law which states it is illegal to do so.
    But thats the silly thing, whilst they were both under eighteen it was lawful, the moment he turned eighteen it was not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (29-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually, kalgirl, in NSW at least, if a 15 year old has permission from their parents to drink, it's perfectly legal.

So if the cops find a bunch of 15 years old drinking in a park with consent from their parents, they can't do anything about it (technically).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast