• Unfair

74 90.24%
  • On The Fence

5 6.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's unfair because:
    - the age difference wasn't huge. If you take into account that girls mature faster than boys they were probably even Stevens.
    - the girl was a willing participant and knew what she was doing (and don't give me any of that "well technically she couldn't consent" crap).
    - the mother can't blame it all on the boy. She knew her child was dating an older boy and she should have known in this day and age sex would come on the agenda sooner or later. She failed to educate her daughter on the problems with sex before 16. She failed to adequately supervise her daughter at the party.

The cops and courts are too busy to waste their time like this on cases of consenting young people.... Just because some old hag of a mother can't accept her little girl has grown up and she's partly responsible.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The judge did say to the male that she feels terrible handing down the sentence because this situation is not at all what the law is there to protect, but she had a duty to uphold the law so the sentence had to be passed.

The male was an up-and-coming sports player and their club is heavily involved with community work. He had a side job of teaching kids to play the sport and was an assistant coach for a junior team.....jobs he can no longer do and he can no longer be a part of his sports club. It has completely turned his life around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to think unfair BUT where do you draw the line then? What if she was 3 months off 16? 6 months off? 14? What if he was 18 and a half? 19? 20? The law is there to draw the line for us.

I do think though if there wasn't proof of anything happening it is unfair though. It sounds from the OP like they were just fooling around...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe the mother DID educate the daughter about NOT having s*ex with this boy until (whatever the agreement was: legal age or married). Who knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow he must of had one bad lawyer given the situation.
    They didn't have s.ex. Given all the evidence I'm surprised he was charged.
    Poor kid. I did some really crazy stuff around that age and I would hate to think that anything happened to those guys as a result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If over 16 and she consented then it's unfair that he was charged and I'm not sure how he could have been if the legal age if consent is 16.

If she's under 16 then it's not fair.

Questionable of the parents though to let them be together surely they must have known this could happen or already be happening?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw a similar situation on 'True Life: I'm a convicted sex-offender' about a guy who had his whole life ruined by it.

I don't think consensual sex where the age gap is like this should ever land someone on a sex-offender register.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (29-07-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's freaken bull poop. From what's been said there pants wernt down just undone! That poor fella. If I was the girl ild prob try and get disowned from my mother (not sure about the father) now prob no guy who knows either of them is going to want to go near here just Incase. AND that poor fella has that against his name for 10 years! Way to ruin a life. If the mother had issues with the relation ship maybe she should of put a stop to it an told her daughter she can not go to the party. Those parents must of been pretty nieve (can't spell that lol) what do they think they have been doing for the last few yrs!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is unfair, and the parents were completely kidding themselves if they thought nothing was ever going to happen between these 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but I think it's fair. He knows the law and 16 is the age. If she was only one month off if he loves her y can't he just wait a month??? What the mother did was not great but it is a law.
    That's like saying its ok to break the law as long as your not found out.
    Yes it sucks for the guy and I'm not saying I'm an angel but you do the wrong thing you need to be able to suffer the consequences