+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How would you react if your daughter were 18 & Preg?

Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I would be devastated and wonder what I had done wrong as a mum to have daughter with no aspirations for her life. Of course I'd support her as that what mums do, but I would be truly heartbroken. It's my one biggest fears, having a DD who is so beautiful people stop me on the street.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub
    Isn't that a little insensitive to the women who are/were young mums on here and have since accomplished amazing things, and fulfilled their aspirations?

I know this is an opinion based forum, and i'm not saying you should not have expressed yours views, but I do believe you could have been a lot more tactful

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rosengold111 View Post
    Turns out i didnt MC after all, false alarm. all has been well now and the Grandies are over the moon!!!! thankyou for your support
    Congratulations!

As for the question - If I had a daughter I would support her, no matter what her choice was.

Just wanted to add, having baby young doesn't 'stop' you living. I was pregnant at 19 and my children will be 7 and 4 this year. I think I have lived a far better life so far with them then I would have if I didn't have them.

As for the pp comment about dreading (or something similar) having an attractive daughter, are you serious?! To put it bluntly, being unattractive doesn't stop you getting a ''lil sum'n sum'n''

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post

And wow I'm amazed at how many people assume that their kids would have to be on welfare, etc! DF and I rent our own place, own both our cars, pay all our own bills and have a household income of 65k... Why does everyone automatically jump to the assumption that young parents are dole bludgers? Drives me up the wall!!
    And you know what, if my 18 y/o daughter decides she wants to be a SAHM instead of studying, then I'll support her in that too. Not everything in life comes down to how many degrees you have, nor is Uni going to go anywhere if she decides later on that she wants to study.
    Damn straight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I'm so glad to hear your mc was a false alarm.

I'd be unbelievably excited to be a nana, just like my mother was when I told her I was pregnant at 18 she loves DS to bits and calls me constantly asking when I'm coming over so she can see her baby and is already planning on what they're going to do together when he's old enough (only 15 weeks atm) to sleepover at Gammy's house.

And wow I'm amazed at how many people assume that their kids would have to be on welfare, etc! DF and I rent our own place, own both our cars, pay all our own bills and have a household income of 65k... Why does everyone automatically jump to the assumption that young parents are dole bludgers? Drives me up the wall!!
    And you know what, if my 18 y/o daughter decides she wants to be a SAHM instead of studying, then I'll support her in that too. Not everything in life comes down to how many degrees you have, nor is Uni going to go anywhere if she decides later on that she wants to study.
    That's because so many young mums and dads are on welfare. That's because at that age, most young people are either still studying or have just started out in employment, usually not something that makes them lots of money... Or they're just bums that aren't doing either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If my daughter was pregnant at 18, that would suck! At 20, with studying completed and the partying stage had passed, I still had to give up a lot. I would be sympathetic towards her...
    But I would support her with whatever decision she makes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How would you react if your daughter were 18 & Preg?

I'd support her, in everything, I'd encourage her in any decisions she made and I would babysit whenever she needed me to and for whatever reason, if she just needs to go and have a coffee on her own and have a breather I'd be there, having a baby young isn't the end of the world. I'm sure plenty of older mums get support from there families as well and not just so they can go to work or study, I've babysat my 34 year old sisters baby so she can to to the movies etc. I would hope my daughter waited a bit longer I fell pregnant with her at 19 and there are plenty of things I think I could be doing if I'd waited but realistically I know I wouldn't have done any of those things anyway. If she's happy I'm delighted at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd support her 100%, no matter what. It's my daughter and my grand baby how could I not. I'd help her out in any way I could so that she can achieve all she wants in life no matter what that may be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest. I wouldnt be impressed. I would wonder where I failed to teach her about contraception etc.

It would take me a little while to be all gooey and happy about the situation.

However. In the end id have no choice but to support her and make sure she stays on the right path financially, emotionally, physically etc.

Id make sure she keeps up her study / Work (or gets one or the other) until she has baby then Id help her raise the child whilst she continues to achieve an education or financial security to raise her child supporting herself. I dont believe anyone should sit on welfare for extended time unless they have a decent reason.

Im pregnant myself. However I have worked FT for the past 9 yrs and have enough savings to provide for our child far beyond its needs. I then have to return to work at 6 months to continue financally supporting my family. (as does my husband work FT and wont be stopping).

Yes Ill be accepting Paid Parental Leave for 18 weeks but after that, Returning to work. I do feel sorry for those whom dont have a job to return to etc but there is always study to better yourself and continue finding a job. Child care etc. I dont have any family or friends to help me (all 2hrs away from my home) so its just my husband and I fending for ourselves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsR2012 For This Useful Post:

Little Mrs R  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it'd be hard to know exactly how you'd feel if your 'baby' was going to have a baby but in theory I'm very pro young-Mums. All of them I've known have been attentive, energetic, patient and loving.

There may be some issues that come with it (financial arrangements for example), but that support and guidance (and yes, generosity) is where I as a parent would step in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After experiencing my own parents reaction to them finding out I was pregnant at 19 I would never let my child feel the way they made me feel.

I would support her and the baby. I would let her know I still love her and she means the world to me. I wouldn't push any choices on her. She can make up her own mind on what to do.

I would let her know if she did choose to keep the baby I would be there and I would help out to the best of my abilities. And if she has any questions I am happy to answer and provide her with lists services she can access if she wishes.