+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The whole thing makes me ill when I think of the money wasted and the people in the world who could be greatly helped with that money. How about instead of a silly competition to bring us all together we come together to do something meaningful to help war torn and suffering countries?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emzluvbub For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (29-07-2012),RobinSparkles  (29-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (29-07-2012),shelle65  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emzluvbub View Post
    The whole thing makes me ill when I think of the money wasted and the people in the world who could be greatly helped with that money. How about instead of a silly competition to bring us all together we come together to do something meaningful to help war torn and suffering countries?
    Because people don't agree with where to put the money, so it still causes fights.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emzluvbub View Post
    This would be ideal but we do not live in utopia, we live in a world full of politics, greed, different religions, cultural differences etc. The world powers will never agree on where to spend money or who needs it more.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (29-07-2012),share a book  (29-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think watching sport of any kind is like watching paint dry.

So the olympics have never been a big deal for me.

I rarely feel patriotic

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont really care about the olympics full stop lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    YAWWWWNNNNNNN!

I watched it when it was in Sydney because at the time I felt I was 'supposed' to be interested because it was being held in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's like anything really. Why do people watch tabloid "news" shows, or "reality" shows like big brother, how much money goes into those? I will never understand, but this is why I personally turn the tv off, put a movie on, listen to music or change the channel. We all have choices.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (29-07-2012),MsTruth  (29-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to be a diver and my coach is an Olympic diving coach. Matthew Mitcham and I trained together when we were very young, so diving is extra special to me for that reason, too

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I used to be a diver and my coach is an Olympic diving coach. Matthew Mitcham and I trained together when we were very young, so diving is extra special to me for that reason, too
    Cool! The diving and gymnastics are my gave to watch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I guess it's like anything really. Why do people watch tabloid "news" shows, or "reality" shows like big brother, how much money goes into those? I will never understand, but this is why I personally turn the tv off, put a movie on, listen to music or change the channel. We all have choices.
    Oh I'm not wondering about 'why do we watch or why do we love the Olympics' because I do understand that some people love sports and all that side of it.

Its more the patriotic element that I'm starting to question. As in why do (some of us) get so emotionally invested in Australians winning and moving up the medal tally. Does it really matter if the Australian wins rather than the British person, or the Spanish or the South African? That's where I get lost.

I think what Girl x said about group identity and basking in referred glory makes sense.