+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why do we care who wins in the Olympics?

The older I get, the less I really understand why the Olympics is such a big deal.

Why do we care who wins in the various sports? Why do we feel proud, or are told we should feel proud if someone from our country wins? It doesn't actually affect us at all. We didn't win the gold - they did (the sportspeople in question). They are the ones who've just had a career lift, might earn money through more sponsorship, become future commentators, get an autobiography deal...

So why do we get so excited when an Australian wins a medal? How is it really any different from someone from another country winning a medal?

Why does the medal tally matter?

NB I kind of think like this about all sport. Football included. I don't get the whole football team fanaticism.

Genuine question - why do we care so much? Is it just because its fun and a temporary escape from our own reality? Why do we spend so much money on it as a country? Is there an economic payback for us?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (29-07-2012),shelle65  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I enjoy supporting my country i find it a bit of fun and living in the US at the moment and seeing Australia win swimming events really does make me proud to be a part of a country who can send so many amazing athletes to the Olympics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well personally i couldn't care less.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    and also I just really enjoy watching sport haha swimming, gymnastics, athletics etc and without foxtel tv doesn't normally broadcast any sport minus some NRL so foe me it's good sport viewage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's because people often identify as part of a group, and success in that group (in this case your country) has a reflected glory.

I'm feeling confused this year, as I'm British, but have been here 7.5 years now, and am feeling patriotic toward Britain AND Australia! Arghhh! I feel like a traitor to both!

Usually I support England in world sports, but I'm starting to feel a bit... Aussie...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (29-07-2012),PippaG  (29-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually just love watching sports that aren't ordinarily broadcast, like diving and gymnastics.

And when an Aussie wins a medal, I do feel very proud I guess because I am in awe of how much work it has taken them to get to that level in their sport.

I tear up whenever I hear the national anthem and see someone on the podium singing it. I'm a sop.

I woke up to watch the 4x100m freestyle final this morning and was unashamedly totally emotional when the girls won!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (29-07-2012),Rutabaga  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've lost interest in the Olympics since having kids, too much other stuff to do! I used to love them. I have so many olympic memories (showing my age) I was right into it when they were in Sydney, and went to a few events. I was in Greece just before the 04 games, but my daughter was born in 2008 and can't be bothered since then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't care who wins the Olympics or the medal tally. Overt patriotism makes me a bit ill. I do love watching the determination of talented and dedicated athletes though, definitely, no matter where they are from. But then, I have a problem with the amount of money wasted....I'm all over the place!

MY children are very sporty and i really see it as a gift in some people, just the same as anything else. It is really important to them.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 29-07-2012 at 13:37.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I couldn't care who wins and don't feel proud when an Australian wins. I prefer to watch the sports that Australians are not in.

In saying that, we don't have an antenna for our tv so can't watch it this year and I'm so happy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who has always been involved in sport, I greatly appreciate the level of commitment that goes into it, whether it be watching little kids tumbling around a gymnastics mat or seeing Olympians with gold around their necks. I love the fact that even in times of despair, war, division, the Olympic Games is a time of unity. I feel proud of every man, woman and child who puts in the amount of effort needed to be there. I feel proud of their families who also have to make sacrifices to support them. That is why I care. But everyone is free to turn to a different station or leave the tv off.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

babycake  (29-07-2012),FearlessLeader  (30-07-2012),giggle berry  (29-07-2012),lovesushi  (29-07-2012),MRR1006  (29-07-2012)