+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What bottles to buy?

I'm a first time mum come October and I'm finding it overwhelming to buy certain things, bottles is one of them.

What type do I buy? Brand? How many mls? Teets? How many bottles do I need?

I plan to breastfeed and top up. Also going to look at sterilizers I haven't looked into them at all yet. Argh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me personally I've always preferred the avent bottles, when I started looking they seemed to e the most common brand. I have about 5 x 240ml bottles & I also have 3 x 120ml bottles that were given to me when bub was born but I'm not sure of the brand of those. The teats that came with the bottle were newborn ones and as bubs got older I just changed teats to appropriate age. In saying that my youngest is now 5 months and he is still using the newborn teats!

I never used a sterilizer so can't give any advice with that. I just used to boil a pot of hot water for 5 mins and sterilize in that after giving the bottles a wash with warm soapy water & a bottle cleaner brush.

There is so much choice out there, it's so easy to get overwhelmed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larissa88 View Post
    I'm a first time mum come October and I'm finding it overwhelming to buy certain things, bottles is one of them.

What type do I buy? Brand? How many mls? Teets? How many bottles do I need?

I plan to breastfeed and top up. Also going to look at sterilizers I haven't looked into them at all yet. Argh!
    Why do you plan to top up? How do you know you'll need to? Topping up will affect your supply, your best bet to breastfeed successfully is to do so exclusively unless you need to supplement. It's all supply & demand as I'm sure you've read on here a million times.

My DD is exclusively breastfed, however on odd ocassions DP might give her some expressed milk. The only bottle we've been able to get her to take are the tommy tippee closer to nature ones. They're being discontinued though so are being sold off super cheap everywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out the new B. Box bottles if you're planning to formula feed after. The bottle contains an area at the bottom for formula and you just press a button and the formula is released into the water in the bottle. They look good too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you I'd look I'm the shops closest to home and see what they have. If you bottle feed and need new teats you need easy access to some not drive a million miles or wait for delivery.

If you are planning on bf I would buy anything bottle until you really need it. They aren't cheap and you may be very successful in bf.

But I've used Avent and loved them and also used pigeon which were great too. Pigeon might be better if you ate also bf as they have peristaltic teats.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i agree with the others that you might not need bottles at all if you are breastfeeding.

Much easier to offer baby the breast than expressing and then feeding baby with a bottle too.

However, if you will be feeding baby expressed breast milk (ebm) in a bottle, you won't need a steriliser. Just wash bottles and expressing equipment with hot soapy water and rinse.

the aba has heaps of info in their site on breastfeeding, expressing, storing expressed milk and bottlefeeding the breastfed baby.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    The tommee tippee close to nature bottles are not getting discontinued its just a rumour

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend the Avent bottles. Buy the 240 ml bottles as i find the small bottles don't last longer than a few weeks when bub will be wanting more than 120ml.
    Start off with the number 1 teat then move to a number 2 when bubs starts getting frustrated with the milk flow & wants the milk faster. I found this to be after a few weeks, but every baby is different. The teat packets have a guide on them as to what age the teats are recommended for.

As for the sterillizer, i use the Avent electric one, it's brilliant & really simple to use, you can even sterillize breast pumps in it, it's a bit pricey though. I've used the cheap microwave sterillizers as well, & found them to be really good too.

Being a first time mum can be really scary, especially with all the product choice out there, but personally, i have found you only need about a quarter of what they are selling, just get the basics & if you find you need something else, get it then. There is a list on bubhub that gives you an idea of what you need. As for brands, it's just a matter of trial & error really. Everyone has different preferences.

Good luck & i'm sure you will be a fantastic new mummy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to loumia For This Useful Post:

BrookieR  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sterlising is not really neccesary. Even the hospital doesn't sterlise bottles being used by the same baby (just when a different baby uses them after you) - just wash in hot soapy water and air dry. If you are looking to keep expenses down, a sterliser is one place you can save money.

I had a Tommy Tippee closer to nature bottle on hand just in case and when it turned out that my baby was happy to use it, I bought some more. Having a bottle and a box of the sticks of formula didn't cost much and can save your sanity if in the middle of the night you need to use them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought tommee tippee closer to nature when I was pregnant with DD. She wouldn't take them. I've also tried avent, the medela one that comes with the pump and pigeon. Pigeon is the only one she'll take. I wouldn't buy too many of one brand till you know they work.