+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra Ra Superstar View Post
    How do you afford it?.. Seriously?

Working for me is the key. Ive been on full PPS and FTA A+B whilst studying and also received Department of Housing Assistance in private rental due to a wonderful program they have for women after Domestic Violence. I only just scraped by then and there were no luxuries.

How much is single parents pension for 1 child (2yo)?

From memory its around $640 per fortnight

Do you still get family tax benefit A&B? and how much is it?

Before working i used to get close to $400 per fortnight including rent assistance. Now i get just under $200 again including rent assistance

How much is your rent & how many rooms do you have?

My rent is $300 per week. I live in a modern two bedroom two bathroom apartment with a verandah that is the size of the whole house. I am very lucky to have that for DS to play in(he is 2). We have more than enough space for the two of us.

Can you afford a car?

Yes. My car is fairly new and i use it for work purposes which is great at tax time.

Do you work?

Yes. Full time and sometimes i pull extra hours on the weekend. Not so much for money because i am very lucky to be on a high income but for career development which has paid off.

How much can you earn a week before it affects your payment?

I think its around $1700 per fortnight before tax. I don't receive any PPS and haven't for a long time but it is far more beneficial for me to be exceeding that limit and bringing in the extra dollars.

Is your bub in care any days a week? And if yes, what percentage of the full cost do you have to pay?

DS is in full time daycare - 5days per week and sometimes i have to pay for additional babysitting through a private baby sitter if i want to pull a few extra hours at work. I pay something like $400 per fortnight after all rebates and benefits.

Do you get payments from FOB and what percentage of his wage is it and does it affect your payment?

I am "supposed" to get around $180 per month but i only get that if EX decides to stay in the one job long enough to have his wages garnisheed. Currently i am getting that plus about $20 extra for repayment of cs debt but i have come to not rely on it as it could go at any moment.

Do you get rent assistance and what percentage of your rent is it?

I think i get a small amount of rent assistance but i have no idea what it is.

As for luxurious.......now that i am working i can afford a fair bit. My car is modern, my furniture and house is nice, I am able to afford lite'n'easy because i work a lot and lacking time to cook and buying take away was making me fat and feeling like crapola. Yesterday i indulged in a facial. I don't drink much but i can afford a bottle of wine or two if friends come over. I can afford the odd night out but it rarely happens due to my work schedule and i enjoy spending my time doing mummy/son things nowadays instead. I have private health insurance- hospital and extras. i have an education fund for DS and he is on the list for a private school which i save for. I also have other savings for when things like rego pop up. Our life is pretty fantastic and DS doesn't go without but that is only contributed to the fact that i work my butt off and earn good money. It was a hard time for us when we were relying on government support but also a necessary time to ensure that in the future we would be in a good position which finally arrived.
    Thank you for sharing your experience

I would love to be in your position in a few years.

I am still studying so I'm guessing the good times are still far off.

Do you mind me asking what your job is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Just looked up the rates for you;

PPS is $648.50/fn
    FTB A: 169.68/fn
    FTB B:$144.34/fn:
    Rent Assistance: $140.98/fn

Hope that's some help.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think you would be fine if you were only paying $200 a week in rent. The fact that you are working will make it easier. You will get back 50% of all your childcare costs
    200 a week would be for a 1bedroom place so DD and I would have to share (which I currently have zero problem with but we would eventually need a 2bm place)

DDs childcare is $100 a day. I currently get about $60 a day back with CCB and CCR (on a combined income of aprox 100k) I'm hoping it would be alot cheaper as I'd need to send her more often & obviously would no longer be able to afford what we can now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    DS's childcare comes to $33.15/day on 104.5% ccb but i get half of that back with the ccr. NSW childcare is insanely expensive!

On the day's i'm studying i get PES which reduces my childcare fees down to $1 a day for DS2 and 30c for DS1's after school care.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Just looked up the rates for you;

PPS is $648.50/fn
    FTB A: 169.68/fn
    FTB B:$144.34/fn:
    Rent Assistance: $140.98/fn

Hope that's some help.
    Thank you very very much! That does help alot!

Do you know where I can look up CS payments? How much & how if effects payments?

DH earns about 90k (before tax, fringe benefits, allowances, incentives etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience

I would love to be in your position in a few years.

I am still studying so I'm guessing the good times are still far off.

Do you mind me asking what your job is?
    I am the coordinator for a Respite Service for children and young adults with Disabilities.

I started off as a support worker in disabilities many many years ago and was given the opportunity as a single parent to acquire the relevant qualifications to be able to fulfil my role.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I receive just over 1000 p/fn
    I recently applied for hardship release of my super so got $8500 to buy a car.
    I live at home an also get full rent assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I have no personal experience with child support as i'm exempt from claiming it.

This is the link to the estimator though
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ine-estimators

You might be able to play around with figures and get an idea from that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are studying you may be eligible for JET to assist with payment of child care. It will reduce your fees considerably. There are different conditions that have to be met though, so best to call and ask when you apply for single parent etc as well.

When you budget, please dont budget child support in (even CSA will tell you not to) as unless you have a really good ex, its just not a reliable source of income and if you are counting on it and it doesnt come in you can end in all sorts of issues.

Good luck, with a good budget, its all very manageable.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify, the $1700/fn is what you can earn before it cuts off fully. I think you can earn $120/fn before it affects payments by 40% but again they are estimates. My car is reliable and has all the safety featrues a car needs, but it's 11 years old so not flash by any means.