+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thankyou harvestmoon.

What is PES? And would i get any studying PT?

How much rent assistance do you get on a property worth $260/week?

Ive been looking at places around the $200 mark not thinking we could afford much more but also not very happy with the quality/locations.

What kind of car do you have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Have you sussed out the estimators on the centrelink site? It will give you a more accurate idea of what you will get for your circumstance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I gave it a go yesterday but I have no idea what I'm doing couldn't work it out & don't know if I'm entitled to anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm confused

Are centerlink much help when calling to discuss?

Could they give me the figures without having to apply right away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am on PPS, FTB A & B and and the Education Supplement and I get around $940 a fortnight. My son and I are living with my parents, so we don't pay rent just board. I get $30 a month child support, which doesn't go terribly far! At the moment I'm not working, studying full time and looking after little man. I know there are great rebates for Childcare if you're studying, I was told I'd be paying a couple of dollars an hour though I haven't put him in care yet.

I can afford a case of beer a fortnight, and Koko Black every now and then. Most of my clothes are old, and my hair hasn't been done in months.. but we survive! We eat well, lots of fresh fruit and veg. A large chunk of the money goes straight on food, then things like outings and activites. If you want to claim PPS you much put in a claim for child support, so long as FOB is listed on the birth certificate.

I have a car, not a great one but one that gets us around town. I think you would be entitles to the PES studying part-time, it may not be much but everything helps. You should also get some assistance with CC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a well paying job, doing shift work. DD is in care 3 days a weeks and my parents mind her for nightshift and the days she's not in care and I have to work. Because my job is well paid I don't get a lot from Centrelink. Still trying to work all that out!

I have a car, a nice one. I don't drink so that's not an issue. Absolutely no point in having a gym membership as I don't have any time to go. But I can afford fruit and veg for DD, and choccy for me i don't rent, the bank owns my house. Not paying off someone else's loan for them!

I watch what I spend. I used to buy myself a lot of clothes but now I know each cent earned at work is time away from DD, so I don't want to waste it.

Because my parents mind her for work I won't ask them to mind her for social outings, so I rarely go out unless she can come.

No father as i am going it alone

Money isn't my issue, time is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a single mum of one but in a different situation to others but will answer anyway...

I have never gotten any PPS or child support (occasional lump sums from FOB but nothing for the last two years).

Up until this year I worked 4days a week with DD at childcare/kinder those 4 days.

This year DD is at school and I work full time and she goes to before & after school care, except one day a week (by special agreement with my employer) when I leave work early and pick her up at 3.30.

I still get ftb, although this year it has dropped a lot - I went over the income threshold to get any ftb a and dd has turned 5 so ftb b has reduced.

I bought my own house two years ago - it is in the outer suburbs (so very cheap) and my parents went guarantor over my mortgage. DD and I spend 1.5-2 hours in the car every day, but it still beats renting.

Until this year I could have some luxuries, but not absolutely everything I wanted. This year, working full time with a nice payrise, I have bought a brand new car, been on holiday with DD to a 4star resort in Bali, pay an extra $1000 a month off my mortgage, and basically buy whatever I want (within reason). I don't have time to go to the gym so it's not worth getting a membership, but I do have a drink a couple of times a week, buy new clothes, shoes, homewares etc when I feel the need and of course DD doesn't go without anything at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    FTB is fortnightly.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do you afford it?.. Seriously?

Working for me is the key. Ive been on full PPS and FTA A+B whilst studying and also received Department of Housing Assistance in private rental due to a wonderful program they have for women after Domestic Violence. I only just scraped by then and there were no luxuries.

How much is single parents pension for 1 child (2yo)?

From memory its around $640 per fortnight

Do you still get family tax benefit A&B? and how much is it?

Before working i used to get close to $400 per fortnight including rent assistance. Now i get just under $200 again including rent assistance

How much is your rent & how many rooms do you have?

My rent is $300 per week. I live in a modern two bedroom two bathroom apartment with a verandah that is the size of the whole house. I am very lucky to have that for DS to play in(he is 2). We have more than enough space for the two of us.

Can you afford a car?

Yes. My car is fairly new and i use it for work purposes which is great at tax time.

Do you work?

Yes. Full time and sometimes i pull extra hours on the weekend. Not so much for money because i am very lucky to be on a high income but for career development which has paid off.

How much can you earn a week before it affects your payment?

I think its around $1700 per fortnight before tax. I don't receive any PPS and haven't for a long time but it is far more beneficial for me to be exceeding that limit and bringing in the extra dollars.

Is your bub in care any days a week? And if yes, what percentage of the full cost do you have to pay?

DS is in full time daycare - 5days per week and sometimes i have to pay for additional babysitting through a private baby sitter if i want to pull a few extra hours at work. I pay something like $400 per fortnight after all rebates and benefits.

Do you get payments from FOB and what percentage of his wage is it and does it affect your payment?

I am "supposed" to get around $180 per month but i only get that if EX decides to stay in the one job long enough to have his wages garnisheed. Currently i am getting that plus about $20 extra for repayment of cs debt but i have come to not rely on it as it could go at any moment.

Do you get rent assistance and what percentage of your rent is it?

I think i get a small amount of rent assistance but i have no idea what it is.

As for luxurious.......now that i am working i can afford a fair bit. My car is modern, my furniture and house is nice, I am able to afford lite'n'easy because i work a lot and lacking time to cook and buying take away was making me fat and feeling like crapola. Yesterday i indulged in a facial. I don't drink much but i can afford a bottle of wine or two if friends come over. I can afford the odd night out but it rarely happens due to my work schedule and i enjoy spending my time doing mummy/son things nowadays instead. I have private health insurance- hospital and extras. i have an education fund for DS and he is on the list for a private school which i save for. I also have other savings for when things like rego pop up. Our life is pretty fantastic and DS doesn't go without but that is only contributed to the fact that i work my butt off and earn good money. It was a hard time for us when we were relying on government support but also a necessary time to ensure that in the future we would be in a good position which finally arrived.
    Last edited by Ra Ra Superstar; 29-07-2012 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a single parent anymore, but I was until recently.

With PPS, FTB, RA and PES, I was receiving about $1000 pf for one child, and 150 pf for child support. I found that it was plenty enough to survive on if you're sensible, and I could also afford little luxuries as well.

Though I only paid 180 per week on rent, so I suppose that helped a lot. My car is really cheap on fuel, so that helped as well. The only time I really struggled was when bills came in. To help with this, I set up centre pay through centre link to have 50 a fortnight deducted and paid straight towards my electricity. This helped a LOT!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    Thankyou harvestmoon.

What is PES? And would i get any studying PT?

How much rent assistance do you get on a property worth $260/week?

Ive been looking at places around the $200 mark not thinking we could afford much more but also not very happy with the quality/locations.

What kind of car do you have?
    Pensioner education supplement. You will get $33.20/fn for studying PT.
    I get the maximum rate of rent assistance which is around the $140/fn mark.

I have a hyundai I30. It's a diesel so has to be serviced more reguarly so cost more $$$.

I think you would be fine if you were only paying $200 a week in rent. The fact that you are working will make it easier. You will get back 50% of all your childcare fees too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (29-07-2012)