+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default whats the difference?

whats the difference between a grumpy, unsettled baby who sucks their fists and teething baby who is grumpy./teething and sucks their fists??

im trying to work out if my ds is teething...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long they were cranky for... All day crankiness (teething) vs evening crankiness (arsenic hour or overstimulation )

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is he drooling more, temps, white spots under his gums?

Thanks
    Reviews
    the thing is, he's only 8 weeks, so i thought a little too early for teeth... but he's cranky pretty much all the time... i've tried everythig i can think of to settle him... he doesn't sleep at all during the day!!! and i usually get about 6hrs then 4 hours out of him of a night, which is good! but he's always so irritable, i can't put him down most of the time, he's only just started to drool a little but the last few days he's been sucking his fists usually while whinging and making noises... so thats when i thought his gums might be hurting him...???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Babies are born with their teeth and according to our dentist, they play a little "wriggling game" of moving up and down and this can cause irritability in some babies before they start properly teething (ie tooth comes through).

My DD is 4.5mths (8 weeks corrected) and has had about three random days of crankiness, excessive drooling etc. We popped some bonjela on her gums and she was fine after that. We can see white spots on her gums but then it doesn't appear as white for a few days, then comes back looking whiter etc. Her gums also feel harder at times. We brush her teeth with water and the toothbrush recommended by the dentist as she does sample solids twice a day.

Our DD isn't normally cranky so the fact she was, along with her excessive drooling and then feeling her gums led us to believe it was her teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a suggestion, Check out The book "the wonder weeks" he might behaving a wonder week? Its a Neurological change in how he perceives the world. It seems kinds scary for them and they do have one about 8 weeks. I hope he settles for you.
    Last edited by Melzey; 29-07-2012 at 07:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or just buy the wonder weeks app!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    Or just buy the wonder weeks app!
    Good call a great App as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only time I could say with 100% certainty that DS was "teething" was when he started getting molars at 14 months. The poor boy; the drooling, crankiness and hand-chewing was all questionable/normal behaviour until then. 3 down, 1 to go....then 2 eye teeth which I hear are the worst....then 2 year molars.....lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he have reflux? Irritable babies that don't sleep and want to be upright can be a sign of reflux.

All bubs suck their fists and drool, some more than others, but it's all part of normal development and NOT a sign of teething (when taken in isolation). My ds's paed said the only time that I can blame my ds's symptoms on teething is when he has a red spot on his gum (where a tooth is coming through) and he won't let me touch it. Otherwise, it's not teething.

My ds had silent reflux and it was horrible. But he hardly had any trouble when teething. My dd did not have reflux but has had a rough time teething in recent weeks. I can tell the difference as she stops feeding properly (usually on one side - the side where the sore tooth is I presume), she won't let me get my fingers in her mouth (which is annoying when she's eating paper & fluff off the floor!) and she won't suck on her dummy properly - she pushes it off her teeth with her tongue instead of doing her normal suck. And it went on for 4 days twice in 3 weeks and mildly in between. But, thankfully 3 teeth later she's back to normal!

Pop into the reflux subsection and chat to the ladies there and see if you should go to your GP to discuss the possibility of silent reflux in your bubba.