+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby in an apartment with no elevator...anyone done this?

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by rusty22; 26-05-2014 at 22:43.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    hey

we lived in a 2 storey house when DD was little and it was upstairs living it was a right pain in the butt, but in saying that my DD was hooked up to an IV pole and lugging that up and down the stairs was what killed me that and the wheelchair other than that would of been ok

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't imagine any problem with it at all. What do you envisage as being challenging? Carting shopping up the stairs while carrying bub? Pop bub in a carrier and you can do pretty much anything that you can do without a baby. You might get puffed in late pregnancy but it would be good exercise. If you want a pram I assume you could keep it in your car to avoid carting it up and down stairs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have and it sucked! But I'm a single mum so getting a toddler up the stairs with groceries sucked!
    When she was a baby I loaded up the nappy bag (it was HUgE) and under the pram and would just pull the pram up the stairs with baby inside.

I've seen people leave the stroller downstairs But I don't trust that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've only ever lived in apartments... We took ds home from the hospital to a 3rd floor apartment, I never had any problems, our neighbours were helpful if they saw me in the stairs (dh works 3 jobs 7 days so they knew I appreciated a hand) ...

I just had to plan things out in my head before I did it ie: bubs upstairs first in the capsule, then back down for the groceries .. We left the pram in the garage ... Or if ds fell asleep i'd lug it up the stairs ...

It just didn't bother me at all ..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    I can't imagine any problem with it at all. What do you envisage as being challenging? Carting shopping up the stairs while carrying bub? Pop bub in a carrier and you can do pretty much anything that you can do without a baby. You might get puffed in late pregnancy but it would be good exercise. If you want a pram I assume you could keep it in your car to avoid carting it up and down stairs
    I can't really offer any advice as I have never lived in anything but single story, but in response to the above comment, perhaps online shopping would help as the delivery driver could cart it to the front door??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kristybabe For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's fine with a baby... Not so fine with a stubborn toddler. I'm only on the first floor, but there have been MANY days where I have sat on a step and sobbed while DS tantrums at my feet. I often have to carry him up kicking, screaming, trying to throw himself over the balustrade. My neighbours must think he's a devil child. That's usually fine but since I've been pregnant its been so so hard. So, I would say consider moving earlier or delay having another until you've moved if you're planning on more than one.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see there being any problems. I'm sure you will work out a system that works well for you. Good luck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We lived on the 3rd floor of an building without an elevator.

I stored the pram in the foyer, under the stairs where other people kept their bikes. I had a sling, but I wish I had have invested in a better carrier like an ergo.

Difficult things, I wasn't comfortable leaving dd upstairs while I went downstairs, so hanging the washing out on the line downstairs was near impossible. I found it impossible to carry a heavy basket of wet washing downstairs with dd in the sling. Ditto taking rubbish or recycling down, my biggest worry was I couldn't see the stairs I was climbing down, and I was scared I'd fall and injure dd. but this never happened.

So I made use of our balcony a lot for putting clothes onto. And argued with dh daily to get him to take the rubbish out on his way to work.

Grocery shopping, I did small amounts often, nearly daily, so I'd only carry one or two bags at a time.

And if dd was still asleep in the pram when we got home, I'd just keep walking until she woke up. Some days I walked for 3 + hours, just so I didn't have to wake her up getting her upstairs. I never mastered the art of getting her up all those stairs without waking her.

We moved house when she was 8 months, as I just couldn't do it any more.

I do miss how fit and strong I was when we lived there though.

Hth, it is doable, but I was glad to move.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We lived on the 3rd floor with no lift and I have to say it was awful once bubba arrived ... The logistics of packing the car, carrying bubs - especially after a c-section, putting out rubbish, what to do with the pram (we had to keep it in the car which added another set of stairs), getting from the car to the apartment in rain / while bubs asleep etc etc were all much harder than we could ever have imagined. We moved just before her first birthday to a small house - being able to drive up to the front door, having a backyard etc have made life soooo much easier.

I totally understand not wanting to sell to move into something more bubba-friendly, maybe look at renting out your apartment and renting a house / townhouse?? - I wish we had done this in the first place.

Good luck!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bub4rosie For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (28-07-2012)