+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can't get 1 week old down for a sleep

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me please!

My son is 1 week old today, and I can't put him down for a sleep!

I change him, feed him, burp him, feed him again (if he still wants), then he'll usually fall asleep on the boob.

As soon as I put him down in his bassinet, he wakes up and cries and cries until he goes back on my boob again... At first I thought it was just for comfort but he actually does feed again...

I'm exhausted! I've been told to sleep when baby sleeps but it's hard when I can't put him down at all.

He has about 6-8 poos and a few wees a day, so I know he's getting enough.

Any tips on how to get him down to sleep would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to just lie down with my bubs and feed them there and we would both fall asleep. I also used a sling alot to get stuff done during the day.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-08-2012),Mrs E  (11-08-2012),wrena  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Yeah that's what I had been doing but my nipples are destroyed from poor attachment so the midwife has suggested I sit up and pay proper attention at feedings until I get the attachment right...

Right now he's been on my boob for over 2 hours, including bringing up wind and nappy changes, and he still wants more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you wrapping him up to sleep?
    I know not everyone will agree with my next suggestion ... But ... Have you tried a dummy?
    Has your milk come in fully?

my baby was like this for the first week or so also ... He was getting milk, but obviously not enough to satisfy him, so he was also hungry, I started expressing at nurses advice and giving top ups after feeds with a lactation tube.
    A dummy also helped as he loves to comfort suck ... We were not going to use a dummy but ... It does help all of us get some rest ... We'll get rid of it when we can!

Also without being tightly wrapped our boy just wriggles and fidgets then gets overtired.

Hope you find a solution ... We found things settled a bit after the 2nd week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried giving him a dummy? My dd is the same - she loves to suck & the booby is her dummy. Those early days are so tough though & if I hadn't been so stubborn & offered her a dummy sooner then maybe she'd take one now!! DD would feed allllllll the time if I let her.

The other thing is maybe tey holding him for about 45min after he's dozed off. He'll reach a deeper sleep & hopefully stay asleep! Also a hot water bottle on his bed will make it nice & warm so theres no cold sheets to shock him. Also tuck him in nice & tight so he still feels held. Are you wrapping/swaddling him? He might be startled by the movement of being put down?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok something I did during the day (not night) was to sleep ds on his side. Now it's not recommended by SIDS so only do it if comfortable. That's why I never did at night.
    I used the sleep positioner to prevent a tummy roll and changed sides to prevent flat head. My sil's pead suggested this method to my sil when her ds's head was slightly outa shape. (he also told her to use that method if she wants.)
    At night and some days I rolled him onto his back for safer sleeping.

(oh I also wrapped and used a dummy)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 28-07-2012 at 15:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    All mine definitely slept better on their sides or tummies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds pretty normal to me.....demand feeding is hard at first, but once your supply is up he will sleep again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions!

Tried the dummy, worked a couple times but now he won't take it, just cries when I put it in his mouth.

He's always wrapped, he seems to settle better, and he kind of already sleeps on his side... When I put him down he kind of rolls to his side on his own.

I tried the sling the other day but I couldn't get him in and breastfeed comfortably. I will try again though!

Tried putting my shirt in the bassinet with a warm pack, worked for maybe 30 minutes, then he just cried until I put him on the boob again.

The only way he seems to stay asleep is if he's being held, or if we're laying down breastfeeding (which I still haven't gotten the hang of so my nipples are pretty sore by the morning).

He'll only sleep an hour at a time during the day, 2 hours if I'm lucky. At night he sleeps 2 hours, 3 if it's a good night, 1 if it's not so good. Which wouldn't be so bad, but he feeds for like an hour before he's in a proper sleep.

I'm getting pretty exhausted. I literally am seated all day breastfeeding and/or holding him. I'm lucky if I can get away for a shower, let alone sitting to eat a proper meal.

My DP has been incredible and does everything around the house, and gets me everything I need, but it would be nice to be able to get up and do things, maybe even go for a walk! (Tried that the other day, fed him, changed him, put him in pram sleeping, then he woke up 5 minutes into the walk and I had to hurry back home).

Is this normal behaviour for a newborn?

People have been telling me that it's strange and "my baby slept til 5am", and I need to let him "cry it out", but I don't feel like he's old enough to learn anything from that? Besides the fact it doesn't feel nice!

Any more suggestions? Pleeeease...

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by annaxoxo View Post

People have been telling me that it's strange and "my baby slept til 5am", and I need to let him "cry it out", but I don't feel like he's old enough to learn anything from that? Besides the fact it doesn't feel nice!

Any more suggestions? Pleeeease...

I think you are doing a great job

I think the key thing to remember is that he has been carried by you for the last nine months, well technically the first nine months of his life, it's what he knows iykwim so it's a period of adjustment and perfectly normal for him to still want that lovely mummy warmth cocooning him.

And please don't pay attention to anybody who says their newborn slept all night until 5am. Yes, some babies do, but it is really not the norm for a newborn.

I promise this will pass, they're tiny like this for such a short time and in the meantime remember you are doing a fab job

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

itspinkrock  (11-08-2012)