+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice needed from mums who sew.

Hi sewing mums .
    I am after some advice on sewing as i am thinking of buying a sewing machine and would like to know if its easy or not, is it a skill you either are blessed with or something that with practice and time you can acquire as i am the most non crafty mum and i truly was not blessed with art and craft skills but however when it comes to ideas and the design part of it all i have no problem in that area but im just not sure if i have the skill/patience to put my ideas into practice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find sewing basic stuff super easy. I've been doing it since I was a kid though, with my mum and gran being big sewers. Depends what you want to make I guess?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

millsmum  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think anyone can sew basic things, when it comes to more complicated sewing i think you can learn but some will pick it up easier than others and it can be quite frustrating. I can make plenty of simple things but once it gets too complicated i can't do it, if i had more patience i probably could but i just don't.
    I think it is worth having a sewing machine anyway, even if you only use for simple projects. I've made so many things with mine, despite being a pretty average sewer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sew lots! But I'm basically self taught from when I was a kid. Mum had a machine that she used for hemming and repairs, and I used to play around lots.
    Now I do heaps of quilting, made so many baby things and sold on eBay for a few years successfully.
    It's been a long time of trial and error though, but I find it very rewarding to make things myself. If its something you really want to get into, then go for it. Practice heaps, and be prepared to do it again and again. Maybe even look into a course?? But if you're keen, then you'll get there!

I loooove my sewing machine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a sewing machine earlier this year. My sister showed me how to get started and I learnt the rest through you tube videos and experimentation.
    I found it quite easy to pick up and I'm working up to more complicated projects now.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

millsmum  (28-07-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am SUPER impatient and SUPER uncrafty, and i like sewing. I really suck and give up when it gets too hard, but I am finding my way along with baby steps. I've been sewing for about a year and am still working through the basics. I just do the same thing over and over until I'm comfortable with it, then move on to the next thing. Baby steps. Don't try to do a project with more than one new or fiddly step. I started out making things like a baby carrier, hemming blankies, bibs, then moved on to trousers with elasticated waists. Then I learned how to put in a zip, etc.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I went and bought one, thanks for all the great replies and hopefully it will be a success lol.