+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My family daycare educator is pregnant..will I pay maternity leave?

Is anyone familiar with family daycare maternity leave policies?
    I thought if the educator takes leave for a planned holiday they don't receive fee's but what if they take maternity leave? Will I still have to pay fee's for daycare? Can I take absent days?...any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, the government pays PPL. She is self-employed, therefore only gets paid for work she does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No you won't pay for maternity leave. I'm a family day carer and am currently 22 weeks pregnant, I plan on taking about 4 months off (maybe more). None of my families will pay for my maternity leave and I would never expect them too either. Check with the scheme policies though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you pay your hairdresser for her maternity leave?

You're not her employer, you're someone who employs her services as a client.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.
    She is new to the job and has said that the money I pay in advance (2 weeks at full day rate) would be used to pay for her maternity leave.."what will happen with that money is that when I go on maternity leave or you guys leave your $240 will be used to pay ur fees up until they run out". ??? I also get JET so the $240 will be well over 2 weeks worth of fee's. Im worried that she will use my advance money to take all the time she wants in maternity leave...she did want $480 but I explained that that amount is impossible to find at this time.
    I'll definitely ask the scheme about it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renez View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    She is new to the job and has said that the money I pay in advance (2 weeks at full day rate) would be used to pay for her maternity leave.."what will happen with that money is that when I go on maternity leave or you guys leave your $240 will be used to pay ur fees up until they run out". ??? I also get JET so the $240 will be well over 2 weeks worth of fee's. Im worried that she will use my advance money to take all the time she wants in maternity leave...she did want $480 but I explained that that amount is impossible to find at this time.
    I'll definitely ask the scheme about it....
    That doesn't sound right to me. I asked my parents for a $200 deposit/bond (was supposed to be 2 weeks fee but that would be $600 dollars for some families and I didn't think that was fair). The only way I will not be giving it back is if they don't give me 2 weeks notice before cancelling care or if there are unpaid fees when finishing up. Definitely check with the scheme.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she doesn't qualify for PPL, she will probably qualify for BB unless her/her partner earnt too much. I charge for booked days if parents don't bring their kids, but not if I cannot have them. There are some I pickup, so if my car had an issue and I was unable to collect, the parents are not charged. But if the parents say they do not need care on a booked day (illness, out of town, whatever) then I charge for the day. If I go on holidays, parents do not pay. If I am sick, parents do not pay. So effectively, being self employed means no sick leave, no annual leave. Not paid anyway. Talk to the scheme, sounds off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As far as I know they only get paid for public holidays, not for any other kind of leave.

I suppose they could form an agreement with you about payment of additional leave, but this would be very unusual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fdc only get your money for the days your child dates of attendance including ph (eg your child attends on Mondays and the ph is on a Monday you have to still pay for that day). When they take holidays or sick you don't need to pay for those days.....

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    As far as I know they only get paid for public holidays, not for any other kind of leave.

I suppose they could form an agreement with you about payment of additional leave, but this would be very unusual.
    Yep, ph are paid, I work some with a small added surcharge but charge the regular amount for ph if not working. I will not work over Christmas, New Year or Easter, we tend to be away then but will work other ph because many parents still have to work.