+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    People talk about the scientific evidence that suggest that drinking and breastfeeding is preferable to giving formula. I'd like to see the studies please. Has anyone got a link?
    Sorry I cbf I'm sure you know how to look stuff up though!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been advised by LC's to breastfeed as opposed to formula if I have had a drink. The ABA has similar recommendations:

"...it is generally better to breastfeed with a small amount of alcohol in your system than to feed your baby artificial baby milk. There are risks in feeding your baby artificial baby milk."

However I personally prefer to use formula or EBM if I know there is likely alcohol still in my milk.

Most times though, if I have a glass of wine, I make sure it's just after he gets put down, so it is well & truly out of my system when he feeds next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry, but you can't claim things on the internet and expect others to take it as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Sorry I cbf I'm sure you know how to look stuff up though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally couldn't care less if mothers drink and breastfeed. But I find it hilarious that women were flayed for cutting down to one cigarette a day when pregnant, and that the same people saying they drink also claim that vaccines are poison - for which there is no scientific evidence whatsoever. Talk about cherry picking scientific advice.

This from the mayo clinic "Breast-feeding and alcohol don't mix well. There's no level of alcohol in breast milk that's considered safe for a baby to drink."

I personally a few wines when pregnant with my first. Not with the others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read all the replies but am surprised by the pump and dump regime. Just like alcohol in the blood the content in breast milk rises and falls in the same way. So expressing then feeding is pointless if you still have a blood alcohol reading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Square777 For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I am breastfeeding and drink - usually one or two drinks a week. I will have one drink once DS has had his evening feed and is in bed. If I plan on having a few drinks we have EBM in the freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Square777 View Post
    I havent read all the replies but am surprised by the pump and dump regime. Just like alcohol in the blood the content in breast milk rises and falls in the same way. So expressing then feeding is pointless if you still have a blood alcohol reading.
    I was suprised by these posts as well. But some women may pump and dump to keep up their supply. I don't have any issues, I can easily go 12+ hours without feeding DS if I need to, but for some women even that can affect their supply.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think people do it to prevent engorgement. I have done it because my breasts were ginormous & rock hard, as he had missed a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tam-I-am has posted lots of info and links regarding the benefits of breast feeding with small amounts of alcohol (very little actually passes into the breast milk, and the amount lessens with blood alcohol level as others have mentioned) outweighing the risks of switching to formula. If you need to see the evidence, maybe a search will show the links.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    For me it was more like DS would be at the grandparents for the night so I could have a few drinks with friends, it gets to his normal feed time and I would express so I didn't get engorged or painful then I would go to sleep and probably express again in the morning before he came home for the same reason. I would see him when it was out of my system and then feed him again.