+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes, i had a drink every other night.
    i had to comp feed (due to breast surgery) both my children from birth so i would give baby would have a bottle and i could have a drink without worrying.
    i never got tipsy (except once) and simply didn't feed her that night.
    i only managed to bf for 3 months anyway but i was glad i did.
    and being a teacher of rsa, i knew how long the effects of alcohol would stay in my blood****** and breastmilk.

plus, i think there are far worse things you can do as a breastfeeding mother than have a glass of wine

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one glass of wine with dinner a couple of times a week while BFing. I didn't bother trying to time them either.

Very little alcohol reaches the breast milk so I felt comfortable doing it. I got comments from a couple of people but I really didn't care, it was an educated decision.

(I don't drink at all while pregnant, but would see no problem with someone having one or two drinks a week while pregnant, even though the baby receives a lot more alcohol in that situation compared to BFing)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hardly drank. I sometimes went out for dinner and had a glass of wine, but would make sure I had fresh EBM in the fridge ready to give to bub when he needed it.
    When I was feeding 3 hourly and I had a drink in between, I would "pump and dump".
    I was told (not sure if it is true or not) that it takes about 4 hours before it leaves your system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had a drink since falling pregnant but may at some point. DD is 8 weeks, I'll probably wait till she is at least 6 months old. Unless she self weans, then I'll definitely have a glass of wine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If I didn 't pump and dump when drinking - if jasper was being baby sat overnight - my boobs would have 'sploded.

One night getting in after a big night out after not feeding since that morning (he was a toddler by then and had spent the day and night with grandparents)I pumped 200mls just to take the pressure off.... then looked at my 200mls of liquid gold.... took a swig.... and spat it into the sink. I did say It had been a big night!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    If I didn 't pump and dump when drinking - if jasper was being baby sat overnight - my boobs would have 'sploded.

One night getting in after a big night out after not feeding since that morning (he was a toddler by then and had spent the day and night with grandparents)I pumped 200mls just to take the pressure off.... then looked at my 200mls of liquid gold.... took a swig.... and spat it into the sink. I did say It had been a big night!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

LMAO!!! Can't say I took a swig, but have had a little taste when trying to find out if the EBM was the right temperature in the bottle.
    I don't understand how bubs can drink that stuff, I guess their taste buds aren't developed yet lol. Though my mum used to say that everything that's good for you, always tastes bad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'm not a drinker, s i never really drank, EVER! but if you do enjoy some alcohol, you can take a glass or two at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ABA website says it takes about 2hrs per drink for the alcohol to leave your milk. If I'm going to have a few wines at night I'll feed at 4pm knowing DD always has a EBM bottle from DH at 6pm so I'm not feeding again till about 9.30pm. So have the time frame there to have a few glasses & not effect my milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    On occassional glass of wine, absolutely. Get blotto? Nope. In scientific research it has shown that there is more 'risk' with giving your baby ABM than feeding moderate alcohol consumption.
    'risk'?
    such as...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept milk stored in the freezer so if something came up I could go out and not worry about feeding. That said, I didn't get hammered every weekend or anything! My son cut down to one feed around 14 months, which was just before bed, meaning I didn't have to worry about it. Initially I was super paranoid but by the time he was around 12 months I would have an occasional beer with dinner when we were out. My son self-weened about 3 weeks ago, I won't miss pumping and dumping!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast