+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not sure why women pump and dump: ABA guidelines say you don't need to do this. Alcohol is the same in breastmilk as in blood: within a certain timeframe it can't be detected.
    I didn't know that.

Thank you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CB12 View Post
    I didn't know that.

Thank you :-)
    You're welcome. I only found out when I found this document while researching having my first drink while bf'ing (for my birthday).

http://www.lrc.asn.au/ABA_Alchohol_BF.pdf

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-07-2012),CharlieBug  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. I have a small glass of wine as soon as DS has finished feeding. Heaps of time for the alcohol to leave my system before the next feed (3-4 hourly feeds).

ETA: obviously I don't mean every feed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not sure why women pump and dump: ABA guidelines say you don't need to do this. Alcohol is the same in breastmilk as in blood: within a certain timeframe it can't be detected.
    I pumped and dumped not because I thought it would get rid of the alcohol, I knew that it was just a matter of time like it going out of your blood. The reason I pumped was because if I didn't feed him or pump when I would have been feeding him the next night at that time he would be fussy.

Also helped relieve some of the excess milk so I wasn't in pain/leaking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't pump and dump...... I drank wine in moderation the entire 14 month I was feeding DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sometimes have a glass of wine or cider after I have fed DD at her bedtime. Only pump & dumped once (at a hens & had nowhere to store it & had had a few drinks not long before). If I do have too much then I have a stash of EBM in the freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I didn't and I wouldn't...ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have. Once my DS could sleep through the night I have had a few drinks in the evening. I'm fairly confident that it was out of my system the 8 hours after I fed my DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I occasionally have a well-timed drink or two, although DS is 8.5 months and I can count those occasions on one hand.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep sure did, I've never been a big drinker but I do have 1-2 glasses of wine every 1-2 months but then I might not have any for 3-4 months just depends. Im of the belief that if the odd glass of alcohol is why you want to wean then just have a drink or 3. Lord knows I sacrifice enough by breastfeeding each child for 3ish years I don't think the odd glass of wine is going to harm them.