+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Drinking alcohol while breastfeeding

Someone else's thread about when you had your last drink got me thinking about whether other mums drank/drink while they're breastfeeding (and I don't mean sitting there sipping on a daiquiri while you've got your baby on the breast - I'm talking about alcohol consumption generally during the weeks/months/years you breastfed).

Did/do you abstain entirely until your bub was weaned? Did/do you let yourself have the odd, well-timed bevvy? Or did/do you keep drinking as much as you always did?

Just curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While breastfeeding I never ever drank. I know friends have done the 'nicely timed' drinking session but drinking didn't interest me at all while I was feeding my baby, or while I was pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My answer was that I had beer over the weekend. She is about to turn 9 so I have not breastfed for some years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I fed my son for over 2 years and for the first year or so, was so paranoid about it. I think, after the newborn stage, I will be more casual this time. I would rather feed longer and not resent it.

Towards the end (around 2), I was really casual. I do recall once going to a restaurant and having him on the boob with a glass of wine in the other hand.

In short, I abstained in the early months, but drank modestly as time progressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't drink, but I'm not a big drinker anyway. If I enjoyed a wine, I might've had a glass here and there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had some alcohol while breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I drank how I usually would while breast feeding- taking into account my big nights out were a bit less frequent due to having kids and no babysitters, and being tired etc.

I would have a glass of wine with dinner or after dinner sometimes. And if I had a wedding/b'day/function of some kind I'd have lots of drinks but would've expressed milk for while I was out (except as they got older they'd just have cows milk while I was out).

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was hugely social for me to drink with my friends before and after pregnancy.
    I felt I had made a 9 month sacrifice abstaining from drinking while pregnant and could not wait to have a drink and in fact had a small champagne after labour..yes the hospital provided the flutes! and didn't judge me at all.
    You can get a test kit from the chemist which will detect the level and more to the point safe level of alcohol in your breast milk. I definitely had too much one day and it showed on the test so I opted to give my infant formula. Just expressed off the 'bad' milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Once he started sleeping till 11 or 12 at night without a feed I'd have one or two glasses of wine when he went down for the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 4mo and exclusively BF and I've gone out drinking a couple of times (hens nights etc).

However I guess because I want to be able to feed her by morning I obviously don't drink the amount I used to and i drink more water when I'm out too which I never used to do.

I got some milkscreen test strips which have been great.

Having to come home and pump milk and pour it down the drain at 2am however kind of makes me not want to bother unless it's for a special occasion.