+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Taking DS to playgroup, rhyme time, kinder gym was definitely out of my comfort zone. I'm not very social IRL and don't enjoy small talk with strangers, etc. I'm guessing it's a whole different level for you DE rather than just being a bit shy.

Honestly, the first time will be the hardest and it will get easier. The great thing about going with your kids is you can just talk to them and follow them around. If you do get chatting to some other mums I'm sure they will surprise you with how lovely they are. I don't know what it's like with your SN kids, but I find DS is often moving onto different things really quickly so I hardly have time to hold a conversation with anyone, which is brilliant.

Good on you for pushing yourself. It will be worth it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (27-07-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm kind of the same as you. I force myself out of my comfort zone if I get a sudden bout of bravery. Like the other night, kids were whinging in car and I was on my own with them. I said they could have mcdinner and went to turn into drive through and thought "**** it!" and parked and took them in. They ate and played in the play area near other children (though freaked out when they came near etc) but still.. A pos experience for DS that I can refer to again.. You were so brave playing air hockey when those other kids were inthe same room etc. I hate hate hate Doing stuff like that in my own but it was great. So I'm more of a moment seizer rather than a "plan to go to playgroup every week" cause I just wouldn't show up

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And DS even tried new food.. Sure it's not exactly healthy food but he ate a burger which is HUGE! Meat! And all different foods in one bite! Omg!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can totally understand. I keep putting things off as it is out of my comfort zone although I really would love to take my dd to a playgroup or kinder gym but if I don't have dh or someone I know there I just cant do it.
    I also put alot of things of until the weekend until dh is home as I am not comfortable doing them on my own.

It is starting to annoy me now living my life like this so I am going to start making small steps to getting out now as I know dd will benefit from it so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh I did call a school and talk to a principal the other day though! And have organized a tour of the school. My voice was shaking on the phone lol.
    Why don't you make a list of all the brave things you do, OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well done DE! Yes I do step out of my comfort zone for my son. I take him to playgroups and drive him to do shopping because he's much happier when we go out and meet people. I don't speak English very well, i feel anxious and out of place when i can't understand what people are talking about or they can't understand me, especially when everyone laughs and i have no idea why. I'm terrified of driving, still struggle with changing lane, merging to highway and have to constantly remind myself to keep on the left side of the road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's really fantastic that you're doing all that stuff at once. You will feel such a sense of achievement after.

I quite enjoy social things, but I have never taken my son to a playgroup as I have always felt a bit overwhelmed at fronting up to an unknown, unstructured type group. It's on my list as well. I don't know what playgroups freak me out - I have travelled by myself, am very confident in my job etc. there is something about playgroups, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is absolutely fantastic that you are willing to wonder outside your comfort zone for your children's best interest. You're a great mum for doing this

Yes, I have always been a loner. I never had any friends at school and always played by myself. I was badly bullied too.

Before having DS, thinking about going outside would give me huge anxiety attacks. Shopping would be done every week on the same day and same time, so I was fully prepared.

Then suddenly this little boy came along and I realized I had to start changing the way I lived for his benefit.
    I started off with a mums group once a week. Big FAIL! I was not good enough for them as I was single and couldn't gossip about useless husbands and partners.
    So it took me a while before I worked up the nerve to go out again. Then one day, I got a text message from a Uniting Care playgroup, inviting me to join their Wednesday group.
    I decided to go. There were lots of mums there from all sorts of backgrounds. Teenage mums, drug users, single mums, disabled mums, etc.
    I felt like I fitted right in. I had issues just like them. Now, nearly 2,5 years later, I have made some great friends and I am forever thankful for that text message.
    I never knew how they got my number until recently, when I sat for the mentor course at TAFE, I found out that one of the midwives in hospital had given my details to them. Breach of privacy, but it worked out.

DS also loves going there and we have since turned into part of the furniture. Because the mums know me and trust so well, I did the mentor course at TAFE and now can guide the mums and send them to the right people and organizations when they have problems.

So I wasn't as extreme as you were, but it was still a huge victory for me. Since going to that playgroup, I have gotten in touch with some community services that have helped me a great deal with building up confidence to go out to the shops and take DS to the park and other social gatherings.

I hope this will all be a positive experience for you. Though TBH, I do think you are taking on a lot of things at once. If, for some reason, it doesn't work out, cut back on the activities and take 1 (baby)step at a time.

Goodluck hun, I am looking forward to reading updates on your progress