+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dream feed!

Hi all

I have an 11 week old DD who sleeps quite well. Our routine for the past couple of weeks has been that she has a bath at 6.30pmish and has a feed and bed about 7pm. She normally goes down first or second go and its been quite easy. I go to bed at 9 - 9.30 and DH does a dream feed of EBM at 10 - 10.30pm. However, this feed normally wakes me up anayway as DD has been randomly refusing the bottle every now and then (but that's another story!). DD then usually sleeps anywhere between 1.30 and 3am and wakes again between 5.30 and 6.30am. She normally then goes back till sleep after this feed quite easily till 8.30 - 9am.

Last night, her last nap before bed was later than normal randomly so the bedtime routine started at 7pm instead. She was very unsettled, fussed on the boob but eventually went to sleep at 8pm. DH was exhausted yesterday so we made an executive decison to forget the dream feed and just see what happens. DD woke at 11.15pm, was breast fed and did not settle. DH then attempted to give her a bottle which she fussed over but took a bit of. After all this, she fell asleep about 12am. But then she slept till 5.15! The longest stretch she has ever done. I fed her at 5.15 and she slept till 9am.

So.. my question is do we do the dream feed tonight? I'm in two minds as it kind of worked but kind of didn't if you know what I mean? Maybe we are disrupting her normal sleep cycle by giving it to her? I don't like her screaming at night obviously either...

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi,

I tried the dreamfeed with my DS and it never really worked for us.

The thing with babies is that they constantly change. U just think you have a good routine going and then they change...

I don't really have any advice except to follow your instinct.

It could be that her routine was different so it threw her a bit, or she's just going through other changes etc so her routine may be different from now?

It could also have been something upsetting her, eg wind, reflux, overtired, etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks! Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dream feeds never really worked for us either... I think they're just one of those things baby either takes to or doesn't! My baby's sleep routine changed constantly every growth spurt and developmental week... seemed like every time it got so I could anticipate what was going to happen next she changed her mind lol! If she did a longer stretch without it, maybe try her for a couple of nights without it and see what works best?