+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Melatonin for kids

DS has always been and still is a poor sleeper. On the odd nights that he does sleep through he doesn't have a restful sleep and always seems overtired and therefore overactive from it (rather than slowing down). I have read about melatonin for adults but has anyone tried it for the kids? I'm trying to get him a Dr's appt to discuss his sleeping and restlessness but just looking for info before I go.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DS1 is on it. Be back shortly to reply properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, greatly appreciate it. I'm sure his behaviour, hands down pants etc is all linked to his lack of quality sleep so keen to try and help him with it.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My little monkey is on it, She has cysts in her pineal gland which is the part of the brain that produces the meletonin hormone and as a consequence of it she cant regulate her sleep wake cycle. We give her meletonin every night about 10pm which is when shestarts waking up, she has had no negative effects from it, We use the tablets from the hospital pharmacy and we crush them ( as she has a feeding tube ). My daughter is also on chloral hydrate as wel for later in the night when she starts waking up and screaming her little head off that works great with her

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've acted for a child on melatonin, and it did help some, but it is more to help them get to sleep I think (it is what makes you feel tired behind the eyes iykwim) hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, it's very interesting to read your experiences. He can fall off to sleep quite quickly but seems to wake sometimes within the first half an hour. He is no trouble to get back to sleep but he gets up in the night and turns his lights on, comes in to our room and has to be walked back, always complaining of bad dreams - he's clearly not sleeping well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter was on Melatonin and it was fantastic. She had Autism and found it very hard to unwind at night and we'd often be still trying to settle her at 11pm. She would have 0.5ml in her bedtime milk and was sleepy within half an hour. She was five and a half. I think Melatonin made a big difference to her sleeping patterns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does a GP have to prescribe it or can you get it from health food shops?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Does a GP have to prescribe it or can you get it from health food shops?

we got my daughters script from the pead in conjunction with her neurologist we dont use the stuff from health food shop

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Apparently you can get it over the counter but I use a prescription one from a compounding chemist.

DS has been on it for about 12mnths now because he just can't get to sleep (ADHD) and would be up til 2 or 3am some nights. I I've it to him at 8 and he's generally asleep within an hour and his mood in general had improved greatly with the proper amount of sleep.

I would speak to yor doctor about using it.