+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Now i know how they really feel...

Has anyone seen this?
    http://www.news.com.au/business/your...-1226427329917

No i 'get' the no pram thing but reading all the comments from readers, im really taken aback by what people really think about babies/children in cafes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's why I now never read comments on news articles like that. Its guaranteed to make me either depressed or angry or both.

I don't think its necessarily reflective of the wider community. At least I hope not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, just remember that the louder, more opinionated 'news' readers are more likely to comment and probably troll with the intent of hurting others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well... I have to say that before I had DD I shared a lot of those sentiments in the comments.

I didn't want to go anywhere where there were kids, and could think of nothing worse than being seated near a table of mums and kids. I got very annoyed when kids ran around being noisy in cafes/ restaurants, and never wanted one near me on a plane. I could think of nothing worse than a mother's group type scenario, with kids everywhere.

Now that I have had DD I am one of those mums. I go to coffee shops all the time, and meet lots of friends who have prams/ kids. I make sure that DD remains seated and behaves well in restaurants (so far no problems), but have let her run around my own table at casual/ outdoor places. And I love doing the mother's group type thing!

So... I do get those comments. And I understand it from the restaurant/ cafe viewpoint too. After a group coffee session, we will pick up food off the floor/ put things back as best we can. But our kids will always have made some mess. We (my friends) have all (jokingly) agreed that we would willingly pay a 'child surcharge' at a cafe, to cover the additional cleaning needed, and to cover the fact that we do take up space with prams.

So while I am happy to be one of those people now, I used to avoid them like the plague! I'm not offended by the comments, as it took having kids for me to change my opinion. Some people find the noise of children an irritation, and all parents have different ideas on what is appropriate behaviour to allow. So I get that people who don't have kids (and even those who do) may sometimes want to go somewhere where they know that there won't be shrieks/ crying/ shouting parents/ running kids, etc.

Hope I'm making sense.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (27-07-2012),kw123  (28-07-2012),mlks  (27-07-2012),Sariele  (27-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The readers comments on new.com.au get me down SO much, especially in regards to children and people like asylum seekers. I don't know why I do it to myself. I honestly believe that it attracts certain types of people that like to be inflammatory though. I don't actually know anyone IRL who thinks like that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

austmum  (27-07-2012),Boobycino  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Removed
    Last edited by Taiyed; 27-07-2012 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Well... I have to say that before I had DD I shared a lot of those sentiments in the comments.

I didn't want to go anywhere where there were kids, and could think of nothing worse than being seated near a table of mums and kids. I got very annoyed when kids ran around being noisy in cafes/ restaurants, and never wanted one near me on a plane. I could think of nothing worse than a mother's group type scenario, with kids everywhere.

Now that I have had DD I am one of those mums. I go to coffee shops all the time, and meet lots of friends who have prams/ kids. I make sure that DD remains seated and behaves well in restaurants (so far no problems), but have let her run around my own table at casual/ outdoor places. And I love doing the mother's group type thing!

So... I do get those comments. And I understand it from the restaurant/ cafe viewpoint too. After a group coffee session, we will pick up food off the floor/ put things back as best we can. But our kids will always have made some mess. We (my friends) have all (jokingly) agreed that we would willingly pay a 'child surcharge' at a cafe, to cover the additional cleaning needed, and to cover the fact that we do take up space with prams.

So while I am happy to be one of those people now, I used to avoid them like the plague! I'm not offended by the comments, as it took having kids for me to change my opinion. Some people find the noise of children an irritation, and all parents have different ideas on what is appropriate behaviour to allow. So I get that people who don't have kids (and even those who do) may sometimes want to go somewhere where they know that there won't be shrieks/ crying/ shouting parents/ running kids, etc.

Hope I'm making sense.
    Yes I know so many friends of mine who are now mums that would agree!!
    I've never been bothered by kids/babies screaming/making mess etc but that may be because I've always worked in hospitality so have got used to it!!
    But I can totally see why some people & especially cafe owners would be bothered by prams. But IMO the only problem I would have personally is if a pram was blocking a fire exit or toilet

And I have been one of those that have to pick up the mess that children leave behind at cafes/restaurants working as a waitress and it never bothered me as thats what I was paid to do! Most mums I came across when I worked in cafes were always very apologetic of the mess! And now that's exactly how I am if my boys make a mess!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to boodles345 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those comments are clearly from ignorant childless males who have nothing better to do with their time! However I am sort of on both sides. I understand some people want a kid free place but it should be CLEARLY signed of a no pram policy or a kid free policy (if they want to limit their own business like that)
    I now don't bring my pram in most places because there is never enough room and I don't really like to be a nuisance. Prams can be huge and bulky I sort of understand it but I do get where the frustration comes from. If this guy had all his shopping in the pram it wouldn't have been as easy to just carry the baby.

I should also add that a couple of weeks ago we booked lunch with my mothers group and called the cafe ahead and told them we would have prams and the owner went out of his way to make a big area for us to sit with prams.
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 27-07-2012 at 13:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand from the cafe owners POV that prams CAN be annoying/OH&S problem in a confined space, especially if they are one of the larger prams, but many of the comments from the readers were disgusting.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakorsha For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (27-07-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry but there are ways around this issue. Sling, highchair, chair, Capsule.....OR take your pram (and your business) to one of the other billion cafes. Making a mountain out of a molehill IMO.

As far as the comments are concerned, meh who cares? People are generally self absorbed doucebags and the internet is the perfect place to say their mind behind the protection of complete anonymity.
    Last edited by London; 27-07-2012 at 13:54.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (27-07-2012),Gracie's Mum  (27-07-2012),GuestMember  (27-07-2012),halloweendee  (27-07-2012),headoverfeet  (28-07-2012),labellavita  (30-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (27-07-2012)