Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    all of the above ^^^

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have you been trialling sitters? I'm just interpreting your post because it's unclear but I take it someone else is caring for your child while you are home? Something like that? Or is it family? Or are we talking about someone else's baby?

My baby hates a wet nappy so if she's crying seemingly for no reason my first thing is a nappy change. It's the quickest easiet box to tick. Then feed. Bored? Sleep? Or just walk around cuddling in the sling.

If it's someone else, particularly a paid sitter? As a sitter myself - a list of your babies settling tips is immensely helpful. So if someone was baby sitting my baby I'd tell them AND write it down "if she's upset - these are usually what's wrong. In order

1. Wet nappy.
    2. Bored - stand her up, show her toys etc.
    3. Etc etc etc

Just a thought

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another puzzled poster here

A dirty nappy is often the direct cause of screaming, so of course I'll change one if it's needed.

And a warm relaxing bath is often a great fix when every other box seems to be ticked
    Last edited by lambjam; 27-07-2012 at 12:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Even now if my dd is upsetor anxious (like just feel cranky, not for any particular reason) I run her a bath. It has always calmed her. She is my water baby.

Also, my nephew screamed day and night for 5 months solid. It took 6 adults to take turns caring for him. Both parents were off work in that time, both maternal grandparents had their turn, and myself and my mum had our turn. We did everything with him screaming. Even feeds were difficult. He would suck, swallow, suck, swallow, pull of and scream, took 5 months to fix it up for him. He had to bath and have nappy changes lol.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree, I don't even have kids but the boy I look after gets a sore bottom really quickly after weeing or pooing, and if he's crying for no reason it's often because he did a wee and it stung his bottom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I agree, I don't even have kids but the boy I look after gets a sore bottom really quickly after weeing or pooing, and if he's crying for no reason it's often because he did a wee and it stung his bottom.
    Poor little darling, I feel so bad for bubs like that it must terrify them to do a wee or poo

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Poor little darling, I feel so bad for bubs like that it must terrify them to do a wee or poo
    I know bring on summer time so it's warm enough to run around in the noodle!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When dd was little she suffered horrible constipation and gut issues (later found out it was allergies) the only thing that would give her relief was a warm bath, she spent most of her first year in baths, it would also help her pass stools..
    dd also had shocking eczema from birth (still does) and a Luke warm bath would help her.
    From 2 days old if her nappy was even wet a little she would scream because she also had eczema on her bum and the wee's would sting/aggravate her skin.

I remember many many night and days she would scream in horrid pain and we would sit the baby bath in the lounge room and just hold her in the water to give her lungs a rest and help her relax enough to hopefully pass a stool, or take the itch out of her skin temporarily.
    Different things work For different babies, it all comes down to what works.

Women have water birth because its more relaxing and takes the edge off, I know when I was in labour if it wasn't for the baths and showers I would have been crawling up the walls.

I'm still confused as to if your post was about others doing this to your children or just what you have noticed other parents doing with their babies?

At the end of the day babies can be fussy at the best of times, and it's increased when things like colic, illness and allergies are involved..
    Parents don't just jump into nappy changes and baths with out trying to soothe their baby first..
    It's a natural instinct for a mother to sooth and console her crying baby, but when that fails then other options like baths, nappy changes etc are the next point of call.. Well it was for me anyway.

It is however a big pet peeve when sick people knowingly come near anyone, especially with the flu

It's not a pet peeve to see other parents trying everything they can to soother their baby, but when my dd was crying and others would try to soothe her i would think in my mind "no your doing it wrong! She doesn't like that etc etc" lol.
    I knew they were just trying to help so it wasn't a pet peeve so to speak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I had tried to calm DD3 before changing her nappy she would have never had her nappy changed! She could be perfectly calm and happy in a wet nappy and as soon as I started changing her she would scream the house down - often because of her pale sensitive skin she was prone to nappy rash and it hurt to be changed, but other times because she was a stroppy little baby who spent most of her 1st 6 months screaming! She just didn't like having her clothes taken off! Same when we undressed her for a bath, she'd scream until she was snug in her towel again.

Often we just had to get it over and done with quickly and change her as fast as we could while she screamed and then she could be calmed & cuddled.

I also hate people spreading their illnesses around! I have just been watching DD3's swimming lesson with a little boy sat next to me who looked very pale - his mum then told me he was off school because he was recovering from gastro and had vomited 5 times yesterday! Gee thanks for telling me while I'm sat next to him and his brother (who hasn't had it yet) is in the pool playing with my daughter! If we come down with it I'll be so annoyed - we have a busy weekend planned with kids birthday parties and sleepovers etc.
    Last edited by SpottySocks; 27-07-2012 at 12:52.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Simplest answer to your question, 'why do people do this when a baby is screaming?', is that they are trying to comfort and soothe the child.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012)