+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2yrs and eating when sick- HELP!

My 2 1/2 yr old currently has tonsillitis. He's been on antibiotics for 3 days now and is running high fevers. Problem is I haven't been able to get solid food down him since Tuesday lunchtime. He threw up all of his porridge this morning. He's taking water and I'm getting a few mouthfuls of fruit smoothie down him a day but when do you start to get worried? He's lost over a kg in the last two weeks because he's been sick. He's a big boy but still worries me. Wondering if I should take him back to Dr as I don't want to end up at hospital on the weekend if he doesn't pick up ( they are worse then useless here)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fluids is most important, if he's keeping them down and doesn't have a high temp then keep going with fluids and try him on some soft bland foods, my parents used to give me very soft steamed potato. Icy poles for hydration would be good as well just plain lemonade type ones.

If he runs a fever or you're still concerned and he's not holding onto enough fluids I'd say go back to the doc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read your post again, if he's running high fevers now ask your doctor about giving him an electrolyte replacement (some in form of drinks or icy poles) because if it gets too high he'll be very dehydrated and need to be rehydrated in hospy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just managed to get a little bit of puréed fruit down him. I'm making him keep drinking water and little bit of lemonade watered down. I have a syringe here for his antibiotics so if he refuses to drink from cup, I use syringe to get water into his mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast (well maybe not toast as he has a sore throat with the tonsils)
    when I was really sick with morning sickness and gastro together I had apple puree and a banana at the end stages and I did manage to keep some of it down. Get hydralyte/gastrolyte from the chemist. You can get sachets to make the drink up or the iceblocks are good too. Good luck for your little one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DD has tonsillitis she really only wants to drink milk. I blend an egg into it so it's giving a little something extra. Maybe you could try that. Also those hydralyte drinks and icy poles might be a good idea - you can get them at lots of chemists. If he's been on antibiotics for 3 days then hopefully he'll be feeling better very soon - they should only take a few days to kick in. If he's still very unwell tomorrow then I'd definitely take him back to the GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I have another DRs appointment for him tomorrow. He's had a little more smoothie. He's refusing all of his favourite foods and just sits next to me whimpering. He's usually up and racing around everywhere, this isn't like him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try pain stop its awesome stuff ! Should help him feel like he can eat !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. We have been doubling up with nurofen and panadol since only one given and he still has very high temp. Hoping he has a good night tonight and see how he goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pain stop has Codiene in it so will help more, just correct he dosage for his weight Hth poor thing, nothing worse