+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't do anywhere near as much as we could and I often feel powerless and ooverwhelmed by the world's problems

Ive also found as we have gotten more comfortable financially I've lost sight of things I was so passionate about when I was broke. I had 2 sponser kids and donated monthly to oxfam when I was a poor uni student, now we sponser a child and that's it, and I don't even know her name off the top of my head. Meanwhile, we spend $100 a month on stupid foxtel! (which I hate but husband insists). I buy second hand a lot, my family buy Tear or oxfam 'gifts' (like midwives, goats etc) for Christmas, I was volunteering teaching English til I went back to uni, but we could do so much more. The biggest thing is I try to raise my kids to be socially aware, but like you said refresh, they still complain which I find really sad.

I agree re the Vatican, when I went there I was in complete awe and felt very touched spiritually at st peters Basilica, but was sickened at the extravagance of it when so many people are starving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a comment on the entertainment thing - remember that the millions spent making films maintains an industry in many countries around the world, providing jobs and money to various economies. I went to a film set in morocco and Egypt where the money the film brought in was making a difference. The entertainment industry, and the individuals making a fortune from it, actually do make significant contributions to worthwhile causes in many cases - filmmaking also increases awareness of issues we may otherwise never had heard of.

It's not all the rich mans fault. When I choose to spend my spare $30 on a nice bottle of red I'm just as selfish as the rich guy spending his spare $300,000 on a new sports car. It's all relative.

Personally I try to be environmentally aware (cloth nappies, avoid using my dryer, recycle, buy second hand etc), I donate blood and organise regular donor days at work to get others giving blood, buy Christmas gifts for the wishing tree, through work i advise charities on ways to use digital marketing to raise funds, ask for charity donations instead of presents. It's not heaps and I could do more, just need to get my act together!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

share a book  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Just a comment on the entertainment thing - remember that the millions spent making films maintains an industry in many countries around the world, providing jobs and money to various economies. I went to a film set in morocco and Egypt where the money the film brought in was making a difference. The entertainment industry, and the individuals making a fortune from it, actually do make significant contributions to worthwhile causes in many cases - filmmaking also increases awareness of issues we may otherwise never had heard of.

It's not all the rich mans fault. When I choose to spend my spare $30 on a nice bottle of red I'm just as selfish as the rich guy spending his spare $300,000 on a new sports car. It's all relative.

Personally I try to be environmentally aware (cloth nappies, avoid using my dryer, recycle, buy second hand etc), I donate blood and organise regular donor days at work to get others giving blood, buy Christmas gifts for the wishing tree, through work i advise charities on ways to use digital marketing to raise funds, ask for charity donations instead of presents. It's not heaps and I could do more, just need to get my act together!
    I agree, re. It's all relative, completely. An extravagant spend for us might be a few hundred dollars on something we don't need.

I agree rainbow road that's awesome!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Wow. What an amazing thing to do Rainbow Road! Truly inspirational.

Whenever people say that there's no point doing small things because the problem is so big, I always remember the little story about the person walking along the beach throwing washed up starfish back into the sea - you know, the one where someone tells them how pointless it is as there as too many to save them all, and the person replies that well, 'it made a difference to that one' (as they throw one back).

I know its done the rounds again, and again, but its true. Every little thing you do to help someone makes a difference to at least one life. And that one life is important.
    That is so true. When we lived in the states, hubby volunteered at a food ministry and in return we got one box of food, he would bring it home and we would add too it from our pantry. He would just leave the boxes at a random flat in our complex (200 flats). He started to leave it this one place every week. We didn't know the people. After a 6 weeks I ran into the lady at the laundry, She was crying as she had run out of powder. I offered her some of mine and we got talking, It turned out that the boxes we had been leaving was the only food that her family of five had.
    They had moved interstate because her hubby got a transfer with his job and 2 weeks later the company went bust. She had no idea that we were the ones that were leaving the boxes of food and I had no idea that she was the one hubby had been giving them too until she told how me how theses boxes of food magically appeared every Tuesday.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012),Witwicky  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness that gave me goosebumps Loving6. What a wonderful thing to do for someone.

I'm loving these stories of all the good things people do. It makes me want to go out and do more.

I remember one time when mum was living on her own with the 4 of us kids, and very sick, and working full time and on the verge of a breakdown, and a friend of hers turned up on the door stop with dinner for all of us. She said she had a strong feeling that this was needed right now. She heard a voice telling her to bring us food tonight. So she did. And mum broke down in tears of gratitude. I was only about 8 or 9 but I will remember forever how much that meant to mum, and how that one simple act made such a difference. It probably sounds a bit silly that one dinner elicited such a reaction, but I think it was the caring behind it as much as anything... Now whenever I see a friend going through a tough time I bring them dinner, or a hamper of food because I know how appreciated it can be.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loving all these stories! Out and about on my phone so not replying with what I would like to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    It's so complex, though. All that money won't end world hunger. It needs to be spent properly, and lots of the time it's not. Humans are, well, human. We make mistakes, we can be weak. I don't think taking money away from big rich fat cats is the answer.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Agreed! Really well said!

Life is about balance and unfortuately just as there is rich there must be poor. Just as there is happiness there must be suffering. It's the law of the universe.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not too long ago someone said to me "How can you do a job that makes it possible for you to be in dangerous situations and possibly risk your life and leaving your son without a mother, all for people who probably don't care whether or not you do it?".
    All I could say was "How can I not when so many other people don't?".
    That might sound a little trite to some people, but it's honestly the way I look at it *shrug*.

We don't have a lot of cash to splash so I can't afford to sponsor a child overseas. We don't have a lot left over after the shopping is done for the fortnight (who does these days? lol) so I can't afford to buy blankets etc. for the salvos.
    My job may not be to be a glamorous, high roller philanthropist. But I do what I can where I can, like so many of my workmates. It's great to see someone with a genuine and rather huge smile on their face because you've helped them out .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Agreed! Really well said!

Life is about balance and unfortuately just as there is rich there must be poor. Just as there is happiness there must be suffering. It's the law of the universe.
    But that's just it - at the moment there is no balance. The poor greatly outnumber the rich. There are so so many suffering.

I agree there will always be rich and poor, and there will always be suffering. But it doesn't need to be like this. More can be done. Surely. Systems can be changed, govts can be changed, more can be given: more money, more physical assistance, more education, more love.

I think things are very unbalanced at the moment.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Wow. What an amazing thing to do Rainbow Road! Truly inspirational.

Whenever people say that there's no point doing small things because the problem is so big, I always remember the little story about the person walking along the beach throwing washed up starfish back into the sea - you know, the one where someone tells them how pointless it is as there as too many to save them all, and the person replies that well, 'it made a difference to that one' (as they throw one back).

I know its done the rounds again, and again, but its true. Every little thing you do to help someone makes a difference to at least one life. And that one life is important.
    I think of that story too. Someone said our gov grants to sport don't make any difference in the scheme of things, I just thought well it made a difference to those kids. They went from rarely attending school, never completing school work, staying out late vandalising, to having a massive confidence boost, finding something they are good at, which in turn lead to better school attendance rates, happier outlook on life, a sense of fulfillment and belonging, better grades at school, and now a decade on they still talk about how good it was to know someone cared enough to fight for them in some way and it helped them fit in at school better too. Without that, many would have continued on their path of self-destruction. No, it will not help every kid, but it made a big difference in the lives of those kids, and that matters.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-07-2012)