+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Agree, little bits add up. I hate that the world's problems could be solved with the money in the entertainment industry, defence, sport, the vatican but being angry and taking no action achieves nothing.
    Money won't fix it. It's how some countries are run, what the countries value etc etc. You can give all the money in the world to these countries and it STILL won't stop poverty, war etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Money won't fix it. It's how some countries are run, what the countries value etc etc. You can give all the money in the world to these countries and it STILL won't stop poverty, war etc.
    No I know that! It's not that simple. It makes be so sad and angry that corruption and evil exist. That it is this way in the first place, it's disgusting. If money could fix it it would not be this way in the first place. Pointing out that the amount of money tied up in the Vatican could feed a whole country forever merely just paints a picture of how misplaced the worlds values are.

But I don't think that is an excuse not to do anything or be aware. On ground level and a personal level, change can be made, no matter how small.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 27-07-2012 at 15:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I feel like I can't do anything. I've pretty much given up.
    I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but Ana Gram no!
    I've been reading BH for years, and your threads and posts about environmental and social issues have made a difference - even if it's simply increasing awareness and encouragement for one other person - me! But I'm sure this is true for many others.

I wish I did more too though. Probably the main thing is being vegetarian (closer to vegan) is very important to me, for the sake of the environment and humanity as a whole.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I tend to do what I can at a local level. If I know someone needs food I give it, If they need clothes I send them clothes, If they need a break, I babysit/eldersit.
    I also do random acts of kindness. I try and bring up kids that will grow into adults that care.
    For overseas things I pray as that is all I can do.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Hannahly  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's really hard

My friend and I founded a little not for profit that we raised funds for to build a library at a primary school in Africa.

So many people have said to me how they're strongly against that kind of 'aid' work. What? Why?! Yes, I could have donated the 20k we raised to another organisation, but at least we know that we made a difference in this town at least - kids got a library, many builders got jobs, we pay a lovely woman to be our librarian - so at least it's helping some people!

People who said that really upset me - my answer was always, "well then, what do you do? Any suggestions?!"

I buy from the oxfam shop/fair trade shop, try to op shop and I sponsor a child in Peru and one in Australia too.

But I wish I could do more...I'd love to eventually work for a not for profit and work in education development but that won't be happening until we've finished our family.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Hannahly  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012),Wallflower  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I collect food and other supplies for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, I volunteer on various community group committees. I have a diploma in disaster management so i can advise on disaster management preparedness and help in disaster situations as they arise (although tbh i havent actually gone to a disaster site for a few years) and when possible I am registered as a legal volunteer with the indigenous community volunteers.

There is plenty of volunteer options via websites like volunteeraustralia, govolunteer or state-based ones.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I forgot, once a month, mum, nana and i make soup a few big batches of soup and go and feed asylum seekers too

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012),Witwicky  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Oh I forgot, once a month, mum, nana and i make soup a few big batches of soup and go and feed asylum seekers too
    Awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I collect food and other supplies for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, I volunteer on various community group committees. I have a diploma in disaster management so i can advise on disaster management preparedness and help in disaster situations as they arise (although tbh i havent actually gone to a disaster site for a few years) and when possible I am registered as a legal volunteer with the indigenous community volunteers.

There is plenty of volunteer options via websites like volunteeraustralia, govolunteer or state-based ones.
    Awesome, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    It's really hard

My friend and I founded a little not for profit that we raised funds for to build a library at a primary school in Africa.

So many people have said to me how they're strongly against that kind of 'aid' work. What? Why?! Yes, I could have donated the 20k we raised to another organisation, but at least we know that we made a difference in this town at least - kids got a library, many builders got jobs, we pay a lovely woman to be our librarian - so at least it's helping some people!

People who said that really upset me - my answer was always, "well then, what do you do? Any suggestions?!"

I buy from the oxfam shop/fair trade shop, try to op shop and I sponsor a child in Peru and one in Australia too.

But I wish I could do more...I'd love to eventually work for a not for profit and work in education development but that won't be happening until we've finished our family.
    Wow. What an amazing thing to do Rainbow Road! Truly inspirational.

Whenever people say that there's no point doing small things because the problem is so big, I always remember the little story about the person walking along the beach throwing washed up starfish back into the sea - you know, the one where someone tells them how pointless it is as there as too many to save them all, and the person replies that well, 'it made a difference to that one' (as they throw one back).

I know its done the rounds again, and again, but its true. Every little thing you do to help someone makes a difference to at least one life. And that one life is important.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012),Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),rainbow road  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)