+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Thanks
    1,875
    Thanked
    2,608
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Agree, little bits add up. I hate that the world's problems could be solved with the money in the entertainment industry, defence, sport, the vatican but being angry and taking no action achieves nothing.
    Money won't fix it. It's how some countries are run, what the countries value etc etc. You can give all the money in the world to these countries and it STILL won't stop poverty, war etc.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

    Stiflers Mom  (27-07-2012)

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Money won't fix it. It's how some countries are run, what the countries value etc etc. You can give all the money in the world to these countries and it STILL won't stop poverty, war etc.
    No I know that! It's not that simple. It makes be so sad and angry that corruption and evil exist. That it is this way in the first place, it's disgusting. If money could fix it it would not be this way in the first place. Pointing out that the amount of money tied up in the Vatican could feed a whole country forever merely just paints a picture of how misplaced the worlds values are.

    But I don't think that is an excuse not to do anything or be aware. On ground level and a personal level, change can be made, no matter how small.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 27-07-2012 at 15:21.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,368
    Thanks
    498
    Thanked
    1,479
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I feel like I can't do anything. I've pretty much given up.
    I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but Ana Gram no!
    I've been reading BH for years, and your threads and posts about environmental and social issues have made a difference - even if it's simply increasing awareness and encouragement for one other person - me! But I'm sure this is true for many others.

    I wish I did more too though. Probably the main thing is being vegetarian (closer to vegan) is very important to me, for the sake of the environment and humanity as a whole.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,650
    Thanks
    15,094
    Thanked
    11,259
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I tend to do what I can at a local level. If I know someone needs food I give it, If they need clothes I send them clothes, If they need a break, I babysit/eldersit.
    I also do random acts of kindness. I try and bring up kids that will grow into adults that care.
    For overseas things I pray as that is all I can do.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Hannahly  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

  8. #35
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,408
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,049
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's really hard

    My friend and I founded a little not for profit that we raised funds for to build a library at a primary school in Africa.

    So many people have said to me how they're strongly against that kind of 'aid' work. What? Why?! Yes, I could have donated the 20k we raised to another organisation, but at least we know that we made a difference in this town at least - kids got a library, many builders got jobs, we pay a lovely woman to be our librarian - so at least it's helping some people!

    People who said that really upset me - my answer was always, "well then, what do you do? Any suggestions?!"

    I buy from the oxfam shop/fair trade shop, try to op shop and I sponsor a child in Peru and one in Australia too.

    But I wish I could do more...I'd love to eventually work for a not for profit and work in education development but that won't be happening until we've finished our family.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Hannahly  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012),Wallflower  (27-07-2012)

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    497
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I collect food and other supplies for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, I volunteer on various community group committees. I have a diploma in disaster management so i can advise on disaster management preparedness and help in disaster situations as they arise (although tbh i havent actually gone to a disaster site for a few years) and when possible I am registered as a legal volunteer with the indigenous community volunteers.

    There is plenty of volunteer options via websites like volunteeraustralia, govolunteer or state-based ones.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

  12. #37
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,408
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,049
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh I forgot, once a month, mum, nana and i make soup a few big batches of soup and go and feed asylum seekers too

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Hannahly  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012),Witwicky  (27-07-2012)

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Oh I forgot, once a month, mum, nana and i make soup a few big batches of soup and go and feed asylum seekers too
    Awesome!

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I collect food and other supplies for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, I volunteer on various community group committees. I have a diploma in disaster management so i can advise on disaster management preparedness and help in disaster situations as they arise (although tbh i havent actually gone to a disaster site for a few years) and when possible I am registered as a legal volunteer with the indigenous community volunteers.

    There is plenty of volunteer options via websites like volunteeraustralia, govolunteer or state-based ones.
    Awesome, thanks.

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a wormhole
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks
    4,600
    Thanked
    2,802
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    It's really hard

    My friend and I founded a little not for profit that we raised funds for to build a library at a primary school in Africa.

    So many people have said to me how they're strongly against that kind of 'aid' work. What? Why?! Yes, I could have donated the 20k we raised to another organisation, but at least we know that we made a difference in this town at least - kids got a library, many builders got jobs, we pay a lovely woman to be our librarian - so at least it's helping some people!

    People who said that really upset me - my answer was always, "well then, what do you do? Any suggestions?!"

    I buy from the oxfam shop/fair trade shop, try to op shop and I sponsor a child in Peru and one in Australia too.

    But I wish I could do more...I'd love to eventually work for a not for profit and work in education development but that won't be happening until we've finished our family.
    Wow. What an amazing thing to do Rainbow Road! Truly inspirational.

    Whenever people say that there's no point doing small things because the problem is so big, I always remember the little story about the person walking along the beach throwing washed up starfish back into the sea - you know, the one where someone tells them how pointless it is as there as too many to save them all, and the person replies that well, 'it made a difference to that one' (as they throw one back).

    I know its done the rounds again, and again, but its true. Every little thing you do to help someone makes a difference to at least one life. And that one life is important.

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (27-07-2012),Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),rainbow road  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 16:26
  2. Would $500 make a difference in your life right now?
    By Aquillah in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 10:58
  3. Does it really make a difference...
    By SheWarrior in forum Should we have another baby?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 21:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!