+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I know, it's ridiculous re. the Olympics, etc. I nearly posted a thingy on Fb the other day but thought better of it, something like "*F* the vatican, turn this #&* into a museum and give the proceeds to the starving" It's so true. I am a Christian and this kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach, such a waste. Makes me angry.

I feel angry too FITB and don't do enough...then I feel angry with myself for not having it all together to do more.
    I mean absolutely NO disrespect as I know you are Christian, but...I visited the Vatican recently...the admission fee was hefty and there were thousands upon thousands there. They receive millions of visitors a year. The Vatican is chockers with amazing, historical artefacts and it is very lavish...the worth is estimated to be in the billions. It could literally end world hunger.

I visited because I have an intense interest in different religions, particularly from a historical perspective, but it made me angry and sad

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I mean absolutely NO disrespect as I know you are Christian, but...I visited the Vatican recently...the admission fee was hefty and there were thousands upon thousands there. They receive millions of visitors a year. The Vatican is chockers with amazing, historical artefacts and it is very lavish...the worth is estimated to be in the billions. It could literally end world hunger.

I visited because I have an intense interest in different religions, particularly from a historical perspective, but it made me angry and sad
    No no...that's what I meant! I agree with you. It makes me sick that there is so much money being kept in God's name when the value of the place could end world hunger. I place zero value on the vatican, etc.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 27-07-2012 at 12:32.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (27-07-2012),Witwicky  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont think the every day person should donate. I think there are so many people in this wold making millions with sports or acting etc, they should be the ones FROCED to make a difference. We have enough money worries to feel gilted into helping when we cant. So much money being wasted on entertainment where it could be spent saving lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I dont think the every day person should donate. I think there are so many people in this wold making millions with sports or acting etc, they should be the ones FROCED to make a difference. We have enough money worries to feel gilted into helping when we cant. So much money being wasted on entertainment where it could be spent saving lives.
    But it isn't going to happen. I believe we all have a responsibilty as global citizens to do what we can, if we can. I know not everyone can but it definitely makes me put my life into perspective though. I even hate watching a movie that I know has cost so much to make. We are very, very privileged.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012),halloweendee  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I feel like I can't do anything. I've pretty much given up.
    You have done so much though. Look at how many people are now aware of palm oil because of you.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (27-07-2012),sunshine81  (27-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    You have done so much though. Look at how many people are now aware of palm oil because of you.
    Agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    People may feel that the little that they do/donate is meaningless but if people stopped these small things the world,and those who benefit from your charity, would feel it. Every little bit does help even if you cannot see it.

We make financial donations throughout the year to local, national and international charities, including sponsoring a child. I am going to donate to an education program in Australia also now that my son is going to school next year.

I work for a community legal centre, for a wage that as lawyer with my experience is very low, because I want to try and ensure that everyone has access to justice and my aim is to empower people so that they can advocate on their own behalf and then encourage others to do the same.

I participate in various campaigns but not as much as I could.

We could do more, we are not very environmentally aware (well we are aware but do not actually do anything more than recycle here and there), we are big consumers and do not often look at where a product is made. I am going to try and take more notice of where items are made etc

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Hannahly  (27-07-2012),share a book  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree, little bits add up. I hate that the world's problems could be solved with the money in the entertainment industry, defence, sport, the vatican but being angry and taking no action achieves nothing.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's so complex, though. All that money won't end world hunger. It needs to be spent properly, and lots of the time it's not. Humans are, well, human. We make mistakes, we can be weak. I don't think taking money away from big rich fat cats is the answer.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BorrisWombatWife  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I agree. Its not simple at all.