+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    There are 2 problems with the world Greed and Religion. One usually goes hand in hand with the other.
    Get rid of those 2 things and the worlds problems are fixed.
    It's not as simple as that. Big entities are not going to do anything to fix it. If it doesn't start on a personal level, nothing will change.

HUGS Ana Gram it wont always be that way xo
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 27-07-2012 at 11:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It breaks my heart to think of what people have to go through in Australia and throughout the world. Unfortunately I have had to comes to terms with the fact that regardless of what support I give, it will always be there. A donation etc may make me feel better, feeling like I'm doing my part. But realistically these issues will always be there and always break my heart. So with that said I focus on my own family. I try to teach them to grow up into respectable kind hearted people. To treasure the gift of life and all the beauty in it. By doing this I feel we are doing our part in a strange way. I can't afford to donate money etc. But our heart goes out to them and we have so much appreciation for what we have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Started up a breakfast program for the 2 schools with the highest % of kids who go to school hungry.

Drew up gov grants for indigenous children to participate in an activitythen donated my time and skills in this activity.

Donate food and clothing to shelters instead of only giving to op shop charities.

Buy Oxfam/Fair Trade where possible.

Raise my child to be aware of it.

Every year my child has a birthday party and in lieu of presents she takes money for a charity/organisation/service.

Nowhere near enough, but limited by time, resources and money. The activity grants and breakfast programs were started before I was even pregnant, back when I had a lot more money and my time could be spent anywhere outside work hours. I do what I can without making my child miss out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I donate to red cross monthly, admittedly that is so I can say, ' at the very 'least' this is what I do'

I try and educate myself and my kids in how the world works and also be aware that our reality, is not someone else's.

My innate protection and provision is for my children, and I totally admit to being 'selfish' in that respect.

I almost vomited at the bulk billions being spent on the Olympics for example ( being the most recent hoo haa event in the news) ...those dollars could solve so much, feed so many, clothe, medicate and house huge numbers of humans.

...at the moment all I do is get angry and upset at the unbalance in the world, and support those people out their willing to dedicate their energies to fixing them.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't do christmas presents except for the kids. Instead we pool our money as a family (as an extended family - so includes my brothers, parents etc) and choose a charity to donate to each year.

I've started getting interested in Kiva - where you make $20 loans to people in third world countries to help them start up farming/businesses to give themselves an ongoing income. It doesn't matter if they can't pay it back. The idea is to give them a chance where banks would never go... We've gotten DD involved and she loves to read through the profiles and pick people or groups that she thinks have a good idea. She's asked if she can use all her pocket money to give to them.

We make regular donations to charity and sponsor a child.

I know it does pretty much nothing to close the gap, and I feel extremely lucky to be so privileged. And sad at the same time that others are in such terrible positions where they are persecuted, subjected to violence and live in fear. And all they did differently to me was be born in a different country.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

I almost vomited at the bulk billions being spent on the Olympics for example ( being the most recent hoo haa event in the news) ...those dollars could solve so much, feed so many, clothe, medicate and house huge numbers of humans.

...at the moment all I do is get angry and upset at the unbalance in the world, and support those people out their willing to dedicate their energies to fixing them.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    Yep, it makes me angry too how much money gets spent on events like the Olympics. Its so ostentatious. It just highlights the huge gap between the wealthy nations and the poorest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I know, it's ridiculous re. the Olympics, etc. I nearly posted a thingy on Fb the other day but thought better of it, something like "*F* the vatican, turn this #&* into a museum and give the proceeds to the starving" It's so true. I am a Christian and this kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach that all this money is being held 'in God's name', such a waste. Makes me angry.

I feel angry too FITB and don't do enough...then I feel angry with myself for not having it all together to do more.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 27-07-2012 at 12:34.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have much money, but we like to help when we can. One thing I do is buy Christmas presents for those wish tree's. Last year we saved up and bought a selection of baby toys and put it under the tree. It's not much but with our situation II am happy we can atleast help in some way, even if it isnt much.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the pain and suffering in the world that I just sit and cry. I have witnessed children foraging through bins for food overseas, while my own children get to pick what they want to eat for breakfast from a variety of fresh and wholesome foods. The imbalance is devastating.

I try to help in any way that I can but it's never enough . I volunteer for Red Cross (a lot more in the past few years than recent times due to time restrictions with the kidlets), donate to Amnesty, CARE Australia and Oxfam and buy Oxfam gifts where possible. We donate food supplies to the Salvos and both donate blood (although I haven't been able to for a few years due to pregnancy & BFing).

My youngest baby is diabetic and we donate his unused insulin and insulin supplies to an organisation that supplies medicine to diabetics in areas of the world where they can't afford it. There are children around the world, in Ecuador, Tanzania, India, Cambodia and many more countries who are the same age as my darling boy and struggle to manage their disease because they can't obtain life-saving insulin. I try and get freebie blood glucose meters from the chemists whenever I can (the big companies give out freebies from time to time to trial the meter), and then I just post them unopened, straight to the org. We make sure we don't throw out or waste any unopened insulin and post it to them.

I'm in the process of becoming a volunteer for Meals on Wheels.

It will never be enough, but every little bit counts.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (27-07-2012),lovesushi  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't donate much financially, mostly just because we are fairly tight financially most of the time.

We do buy gifts for the wish trees and try and donate a fair bit to the guide dogs and to vision Australia because DH's grandad went blind later in life and it means a lot to him. We also donate to legacy and other returned services charities as my brother is an active servicemen who is about to head to afghanistan.

I am also and SES volunteer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (27-07-2012)