+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default What do you do to make a difference? *Not a cheery post*

In the world? I am having a hard time dealing with the fact that we are free and able to live a privileged life when so much of the world is starving, being persecuted, living in horror. Like honestly, we can watch a movie that cost millions of dollars to make when children are dying because they can't afford even a grain of rice....or witnessing/being subjected to horrible violence and persecution just because of where they were born. We can drive 2 minutes down the road to buy a chocolate bar made by child slaves. We complain about taxes, roads, anything that isn't perfect really. Don't get me wrong, I know we all have our real issues that need and deserve to be dealt with, believe me I know it's just that the world seems to have 2 extremes. One extreme is that we can put drugs into our body for fun/to block out emotional or physical pain/whatever when so much of the world don't have access to basic healthcare. We have so much food that obesity and eating disorders are a major problem...when most of the world can't even eat.

We used to be quite pro active in doing our part but lately have not done much at all. My question is, what do you do? And why is the world so out of whack? I seriously can't get my head around it.--

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    And it's the same within our own country. There is such a gap between rich and poor. People complaining that 10c of 'their' tax money is going to help a single mother raise her children on next to nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally - not enough

I try to buy free trade/oxfam etc for presents etc

We but a buy an oxfam goat and chicken at Christmas, last year we bought a bag of manure

Ive sponsored a sewing machine and a cow

We buy second hand where we can

We don't sponsor a child ATM but will look at another World Vision one soon

I work for a employer that is governemnt sponsered to educate people about Ausaid and the issues that Ausaid assist with

I try to raise awareness of third world issues

I am involved with a family of refugees from Lopit

I'm trying to raise two children to be empathetic about work issues

Im am often sorry but that's as much as I do

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Personally - not enough

I try to buy free trade/oxfam etc for presents etc

We but a buy an oxfam goat and chicken at Christmas, last year we bought a bag of manure

Ive sponsored a sewing machine and a cow

We buy second hand where we can

We don't sponsor a child ATM but will look at another World Vision one soon

I work for a employer that is governemnt sponsered to educate people about Ausaid and the issues that Ausaid assist with

I try to raise awareness of third world issues

I am involved with a family of refugees from Lopit

I'm trying to raise two children to be empathetic about work issues

Im am often sorry but that's as much as I do
    Thanks. We have done the Christmas Oxfam thing from time to time but might put more importance on it this year. ^^That's the kind of stuff I guess we do too....buy fairtrade, Dh works in a wonderful job making a difference and I do raise my kids to be mindful - doesn't seem to stop them complaining though . We did have sponsor children but needed to stop for awhile, but maybe we will look at doing that again.

I just dont know how you can ever feel like you are doing enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Like WCM I'm big on oxfam. I shop there for presents and donate to their campaigns.

In Aust I make a monthly donation to Red Cross for their breakfast program.

I don't do enough. I used to go to rallies/protests etc but no time any more.

My dad has almost gotten himself killed in the name of making a difference. It's his life. I wish I was more like him.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm at peace with the fact that i can never do enough. I donate financially when I can, and I will raise my children to be aware of the injustices in the world. We try to tread lightly on the earth, too. We live in a small apartment and try not to use too much power or rely on a car. We buy a lot of second hand and try not to over consume. I feel like my career makes a difference, as well, as does DP. Not in world-changing ways, but in making a small difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012),Gracie's Mum  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad has almost gotten himself killed in the name of making a difference. It's his life. I wish I was more like him
    Scary but good on him. I know that we need to do more, get out amongst it.

I am having a really hard time in my own life at the moment but am feeling really guilty for it because I have access to so much.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I feel like I can't do anything. I've pretty much given up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are 2 problems with the world Greed and Religion. One usually goes hand in hand with the other.
    Get rid of those 2 things and the worlds problems are fixed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

kriista  (27-07-2012),Nagari  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just donate monthly to the Red Cross for their breakfast program.
    And my credit card is one that donates some fees/% from my card usage to the RSPCA rescue program.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-07-2012)