+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Number of breastfeeds in 24 - babies 6-12 months

I'm just wondering if you could comment re title? If your baby is 6-12 months (or older, out of interest) would you mind saying how many breastfeeds they have in a typical 24hr period?

It would really help me put some things in perspective I think.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 6 months my DD was feeding 5 or 6 times a day (no feeds through the night). This slowly decreased as she started to eat more solids and when I weaned her a month ago at 11 months she was having 3 feeds a day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LilPetal For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 9.5 months and has four during the day (wake up, before both naps and before bed) and 2-3 at night. I probably could drop 1 of the night ones.

This can vary though cause we demand fees.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really sure! I don't really take much notice, but my little guy is 8.5 months and I reckon it would be around 4 during the day and between 1 and 3 overnight (it varies)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 8.5 months. He usually feeds about 6 times in 24hrs, approximately 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 10pm and 4am
    Although yesterday I lost count of the number of times he fed during the day...
    I've just cut out a 1am feed and am trying to stretch out the 4am to a bit later.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 11 months and we average around 3. First thing in the morning, sometime in the early afternoon after lunch, and after bath.

Occasionally a 3am feed.

Some days she quite happily skips the day feed, especially if we are out and about.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 6mths it's 8-12 feeds a day as I don't start solids till then. 8-10 daytime and a couple overnight.

By 12 mths I was feeding about 5-7 with 2 overnight feeds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DD fed probably hourly or at best 2 hourly at that age (day and night). She didn't really take to solid food until about 8 months. Some babies just love their Mummy Milk.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it will vary from routine fed to demand fed as well as mostly at home mums vs mostly away during the day from home mums.

I know on days I worked when my baby was that age she was fed at a specific times but other days it was free service. But she fed more overnight on days I worked than the days I was home. It's like she needed to catch up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies, mummas. It's a relief to see that some babies are still feeding so frequently.

I ask because we're still feeding quite a lot. DS is 6 months (loves solids but we're taking it slowly cos of his intolerances) and we probably still feed 10-12 times in 24hours. About 3-4 feeds a night at the moment. 3 hours is a long stretch of sleep for him these days! Sigh.

Apart from being pretty dang tired, I am happy with his feeding pattern. He's always been a frequent, snacky type of feeder. I think his feeding isn't about calories though. His nappies are soaked!

I would like to pick up some casual work around nov/dec when he'll be 10-11 months. A few evenings and some chunks on weekends, I'd say. It's not as critical by this stage if his number of feeds and my supply fluctuates a bit, is it??

Thanks again all