+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Floradix doesn't cause constipation either.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd definitely look at changing the iron you are on. I take spatone and floradix and my iron levels are good when they never have been in pregnancy before, and I've taken the tablets in my last pregnancies. The tablets are very high dose (like 105mg vs 5 mg in spatone) but most of it is not absorbed, which is why it makes people sick and constipated. You could even try the tablets one every second day, and on the alternate days take spatone twice a day? Sorry I don't know what to do about the constipation but I'd try prunes (but I love prunes just to eat anyway!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I first had psyllium, it took quite a few days to work, and I got really bloated in those few days. But when it worked (TMI alert), it was like nothing I've experienced. They call it nature's broom I think and in my experience, that's a very appropriate name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im 18 weeks & have been backed up on and off, i found pear juice works really well! And is actually nice to drink too its sweet good luck hope u get it sorted its really not nice x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another spatone fan here. And for immediate relief definitely get yourself a bottle of lactulose, it softens everything and makes it easy to pass within hours. Safe to take frequently in pregnancy if required. Psyllium didn't work for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go eat 3 kiwi fruits. Will sort it alll out within 24 hours I gurentee it.

I had tried everything I could get my hands on to relieve my constpation.....nothing helped. In the end a friend of mine with 5 kids simply said to me 'kiwi fruit, go get some in'....I did and omg, the relief!!! Now I have at least one a day and have been going regularly for months!

I wish someone had told me about it earlier!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 28 weeks & severe constipation - Physillium

I couldn't stand prune juice, but could manage to eat prunes to soften up my first poop after birth and make it easier... That should work too, or any dried fruits!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I also recommend kiwi fruit!! Its the best!! Eat 2 or 3 for a few days and you will feel 10kgs lighter!! Sorry for tmi, but i hadnt gone properly for about 3 days... Drank heaps of water and ate the kiwi fruit for 2 days - i went 4 times today!! Best relief ever!! Pears are also good. Ive also had aloe juice in the past - really good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm with Moxy on this one.... I wouldn't take a fibre supplement like Metamucil or psyllium husk of you are severely constipated.... It will definitely keep you regular if you aren't backed up (it acts to bulk the stools up and make it all easier to pass). However the last thing you want if severely constipated it more 'bulking up' of your stools... TMI sorry!
    I have taken lactulose syrup and, at other times, coloxyl (safe in pregnancy) to relieve constipation post-surgery and in pregnancy.
    Good luck... I'm also 28 weeks on Monday and am in the same boat as you... Horrible isn't it!