+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default UK car seats?

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this and I figure this area probably get the most traffic.

We r going to the UK in Oct nd DS will be 17 months.

We r hiring a car but the baby seat hire is 10 pounds per day which will work out really expensive for the time we r there.

So I want to buy a car seat and have it posted to family there (in UK) to use OR buy one here to take it over.

So my question is, are the seats there different to ours here? And can I still have him rear facing? His seat here is RF till 12kg's and he's only just 10kgs now. So I'm hoping I can find something similar there?

Anyone done this?

Also I don't want to take ours with coz it's been professionally fitted in my car and I don't want to take it out coz I can't get it stable again if I took it out and tried to refit it myself.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure where to post this and I figure this area probably get the most traffic.

We r going to the UK in Oct nd DS will be 17 months.

We r hiring a car but the baby seat hire is 10 pounds per day which will work out really expensive for the time we r there.

So I want to buy a car seat and have it posted to family there (in UK) to use OR buy one here to take it over.
    Could you perhaps buy one when you get to the UK? Or if you have family there could they buy one on your behalf beforehand or do they have a friend they could borrow one from for your stay? It seems a lot of effort to buy one here and have it shipped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aren't they all isofix over in the UK?
    Isofix is a completely different way of putting the seats in the car.
    Last edited by HowCrazyCool; 26-07-2012 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's 2014 for all new cars to be fitted with isofix in the Uk? But I could be wrong lol

This link might be helpful OP http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carr...ing_safely.htm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    UK uses isofix which unfortunately Australia is not getting until 2013 or 2014... Could perhaps buy one over there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am from the UK. Not all cars have isofix but most newer ones do. It's a really good and safe system, i prefer it to top tether. But will be more expensive to get a car seat that has it.

You can pick up a decent quality car seat for around £100 particularly if on sale. maxi cosi or britax are good. Check out mothercare online for sales.

You can use either rear or forward facing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 usin BubHub

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (26-07-2012),SAgirl  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say, just because a car has isofix bars in it, doesn't mean you have to use it. You can put in a regular car seat secured with the seat belt instead. Just ask your family to buy one for you. They're cheaper than over here, trust me, we shipped our UK car seat over to Australia!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    UK uses isofix which unfortunately Australia is not getting until 2013 ...
    I thought that too but it appears that not all cars in the UK are fitted with isofix and it's not mandatory yet.
    Many new cars now have ISOFIX points built into them, however it is not yet mandatory and some new vehicles may not have them. New types of vehicles must be fitted with ISOFix points from November 2012 and all new vehicles must be fitted with it from November 2014. This will not apply to cars with only one row of seats, which will not be required to have ISOFIX
    Source : http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/isofix.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to get a seat in the UK. Regulations are different between the countries. We bought a seat online and had it delivered to family in the UK. You can get isofix seats, they are more expensive. Or you can get seats that are held by seatbelt only (no anchor hooks at the back of car seat). We got one with seatbelt only as it could convert to a booster seat and last until our DS is 7. It cost approx 100 pounds. We looked into hiring one with our hire car and it was 6 pounds per day but had an upper limit of approx 80 pounds. We decided to buy one as we will definitely be back as my DH is from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I was thinking I would buy one off eBay UK and have it posted to my uncles place.

Thanks for the info I'll check out the isofix and ask the car rental place. I'd love isofix in case they bring it to Aus, then I will have a seat already