+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiredUp View Post
    It’s best to continue sterilising your baby’s bottles until she’s at least a year old. Babies are vulnerable to the germs that cause diarrhoea and vomiting. These germs can develop very easily in milk.

Bottles and teats have nooks and crannies that milk can collect in. Sterilising is the only way to ensure your baby's bottles are free from dangerous bacteria.
    This. Just because babies start putting things in their mouth doesnt mean u dont need to sterilise anymore!!

Off, warm Milk harbours bacteria so u need to ensure bottles are very well cleaned.
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    I didn't sterilize ever.. I just put them in the dishwasher and washed them nightly with the other dishes. Same with dummies, favorite toys, etc.

Once they start putting other stuff in their mouths i think it's kind of pointless.

And as a side question - once they start solids did anyone sterilize their bowls, spoons, plates, highchair tray, etc. ?
    I always found it odd when people sterilized bottles but then didn't sterilize any of the other utensils or things that their baby used to eat..
    Its Irrelevant thats why See above. Its the milk thats the issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    This. Just because babies start putting things in their mouth doesnt mean u dont need to sterilise anymore!!

Off, warm Milk harbours bacteria so u need to ensure bottles are very well cleaned.
    Each to their own. I'll follow my paed and midwives advice.
    I wasn't in the habit of reusing dirty bottles or leaving off, warm milk in them?? As I said, I washed them with water and soap and then ran them through a hot dishwasher cycle, which they advised me was more than adequate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand it may not be needed anymore, but out of habit and my personality (a tiny bit ocd) I did it to 12 months for each of my babies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a midwife appointment the other day and asked as I'am planning to bottle feed from birth. She advised to sterilize from birth till at least 6 months of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was getting things prepared to take my premmie daughter home from hospital after 7 weeks I asked the paed and SCN nurses what I needed to do and they told me that I could use a bottle brush and detergent and then wash them in the dishwasher and that it would be fine.

I wasn't doing it to be lazy, I was doing it because I was told by medical experts that it was an easy, safe and effective way to do it.
    We were told this too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each to their own. I'll follow my paed and midwives advice.
    I wasn't in the habit of reusing dirty bottles or leaving off, warm milk in them?? As I said, I washed them with water and soap and then ran them through a hot dishwasher cycle, which they advised me was more than adequate.
    Fair enough.... it was a general comment not aimed at you personally, but for those that dont have a dishwasher sterilising will give them a proper clean and get in all those nooks and crannies Even my sisters told me sterilising isnt necessary. I didnt listen lol.

Like alot of things with parenting theres conflicting info. We all just do what we think is best!!

Last edited by ShanandBoc; 03-08-2012 at 21:42.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stopped s'ing at 11.5mths but still continue to disinfect highchair table with antibacterial spray and leave on for 5-10mins then wipe off.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutterfly74 View Post
    Hi to all those that are bottle feeding. What age can you stop sterilising bottles and just give them a good scrub in hot soapy water? With my first I sterilised till he was 12mths. But I am getting tired of cleaning bottles and sterilising. But my girl is only 7mths? Just curious
    I guess we may never agree with this one. I never really stressed about it. Once a day I popped DS's 2 bottles in a pot of water until one day i left the stove on and melted them both and from thn on DH hasn't let me sterilise them lol.

Can someone enlighten me on what happens if you don't sterilise the bottles? I have always assumed a stomach bug, perhaps food poisoning. But then if that were the case we'd all get food poisoning from not sterilising our own drinking and eating items. So perhaps just an upset tummy and unsettled baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure once baby is moving about and putting things in it's mouth or eating solids there's no point as you don't really sterilize the floor/spoons/bowls/toys etc..