+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Refusing breast during the day..

Hi there my 7 & a half week old dd has suddenly started to refuse taking the breast during the day.
    It started yesterday. Her morning feed she was fine, slept then woke up for her early lunch feed. I tried to put her on the boob & she screamed the house down. After trying to feed her then settle her for an hour, I managed to pump and give her the bottle. All day she refused the boob but at dinner she took to it fine. I didn't do anything differently during the day then I usually do. Same thing happened today. I don't know what to do I want to keep breast feeding, but if it's making her so upset, I guess I'll have to just keep expressing and giving her the bottle would anyone know why she has suddenly refused the boob? Im taking her to the gp on the weekend, but if anyone has any ideas as to why that would be great Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has your period returned?

Changed perfume/soap/deodorant?

Medication?

Food?

Pregnancy?

There are lots of things that could be causing it.
    It's basically a process of elimination.

I hope you can figure it out soon.
    Stay strong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely nothing has changed..the only thing I can think of that has changed is that I drank a litre of water yesterday..I'll keep an eye on what food I eat. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son did this at 3 months as he started preferring the ease of EBM from a bottle.

They call it a "nursing strike". there are some links here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

I had to end up refusing EBM until I got him back on the boob. Lots of carrying around and rocking and refusing anything but the boob, and then he went back on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did the exact same thing. It lasted 4 days. Each feed I offered her boob if she refused I would pump. For whatever reason it was only during the day. Somewhere I read to not offer a bottle and when they are hungry enough they will drink but in my experience I felt bad leaving her starving so I gave the bottle. my only advice keep up trying and pumping to keep your milk flow up baby will get over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you use spray deodorant? If I'm not careful, DD will refuse boob after I shower and I worked out it was the taste of my deo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone :-) she got better..& now today is the same thing. I think she is just being fussy!! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Niknak0013 View Post
    Absolutely nothing has changed..the only thing I can think of that has changed is that I drank a litre of water yesterday..I'll keep an eye on what food I eat. Thanks!
    A litre more than you normally drink? Or just a litre? For a Breastfeeding mum one litre a day is not enough. Try and drink at least two, preferably three. I think I read in another thread you had low supply? Not enough water will do that. Boost your water intake and your milk supply will increase.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

Whitman  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    :-) hope you're ok there!
    Its a lot more work for the baby to eat from the breast than from the bottle she may prefer bottle for whatever reason right now. Babies have a mind of their own and sometimes they just do strange things and change things around all the time. My DD took so much bottle in the first 3 weeks I thought I'd forever have to express and feed her with a bottle! She's now 4 months and dislikes the bottle and clearly prefers the breast.
    One more thing babies SOOO feel your vibe try to stay calm :-) good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was fussy on the breast at around this age too. If he refused the boob, I'd just cuddle him and leave him to play for a bit and try again later. I have no idea why he went through this phase but whatever it was, it passed! I avoided feeding in public/around others at this time as the screaming was a little embarrassing. It was heartbreaking to see him screaming into my breast, but try mot to take it personally. I think it's just a phase they go through sometimes.