+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cutting the Crap

Have you made the big change to go through your child's diet and cut out sugar?
    I am heading towards that with DS, but I don't know how he will cope. At the moment his favourite food is biscuits, and I have never found a sugar free option. Admittedly he will eat fruit, but other than that his snack repertoire is very limited.
    If you cook and aren't using sugar, what do you use to sweeten cakes, pikelets etc?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flyawayfree For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done this, but my ds is only 15 months and especially lately as we have no fridge he has been eating so much processed food I've been worrying about how much sugar im putting into his little body :-(

Pikelets I dont even put sugar in - I use 1C flour, 1C milk, 1 egg. They taste yummy. I already use only half sugar called for in other cakes and havent had a problem yet.

I know honey can be used as a sweetener in most baked goods.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sugar free biscuits

That is just the first recipe i found that looked like it might taste quite nice, i sure you could find even more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't taken the sugar out of DDs diet, she has never really had to begin with. She is 21 months old. She doesn't eat chips or lollies - although I will admit she has had 2 lollipops. The first, about 3 months ago, she didn't like and one only a couple of days ago which she liked, but still didn't finish! She had a small chocolate egg for Easter but again, didn't like it. DH and I don't eat sugary food, so it is rarely in the house and rarely offered to her.

Our alternative "healthier" snack foods are -
    Fruit - DD lives all types but especially strawberries
    Veg sticks - raw carrot, broccoli cucumber and capsicum. She loves "dipping" her food, so she dips her veggies in hummus or light mayo
    Rice crackers
    Yogurt
    Dried fruit
    Cheese
    Muesli bars

We have used things like honey, tahini and vanilla in small amounts to sweeten some things, but to be honest we don't eat cakes or pikelets (sp?) either. Another hubber gave me a recipe for "bliss balls", which are a sweet treat and very easy to make. I made them once DD didn't really like them (I'm thinking she just really doesn't have a sweet tooth), but DH and I ate them all, they were great!! I'll dig out the recipe if you want to give them a go. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use agave syrup/nectar instead of sugar as my DD is intolerant to cane sugar, it is yummy, buy in healthfood section of supermarket, I just make normal foid, minus the sugar and add nectar to taste. Yum!

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use unsweetened apple sauce in muffins, and just add things like dates to sweeten up banana bread etc. If I use sugar in a recipe I never put the full amount in, adding spices like cinnamon can help boost the flavor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We follow the 80/20 rule, 80% of our food ( which is what I make at home) is organic/free range additive and preservative free, no takeaway , no soft drink, no white flour or sugar , we go out for dinner once a week and lunch maybe 3-4 times a week and still eat healthy but will have desserts etc as I don't want to deprive DS of everything but think its fair that he eats what we do, same at parties he eats what he wants but luckily so far he still gravitates to the fruit/savory kinds of foods , the only things I don't allow him to have is processed meats. ( bacon, ham, sausages, nuggets etc) hot chips or any food from fast food restaurants, mainly as we don't eat that food so he has never been around it! I figure while I can control it I will as I'm sure when he starts school and gets influenced by other kids!
    At home if I make a cake /pavlova or slice we use stevia sugar, DH makes banana pancakes every Sunday without sugar but we do use organic maple syrup , his snacks are usually fruit/veggie sticks and dips, rice cakes and nut butters

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's Mum! It was you that gave me the bliss ball recipe.... They were awesome

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are not sugar free although have cut out additives/food colouring/processed food so have probably lost a lot of it anyway.

When I am cooking though sometimes I have just halved or changed the quantities of sugar if it seems excessive and most of the time I dont think you notice the difference. Also have used golden syrup or just recently tried rice malt syrup. I have also if there is oil in the recipe as well substituted a bit of both for some fruit puree eg apple or pear. Makes the texture slightly different but not too much and still nice and sweet tasting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Natural sweeteners like stevia or xylitol are best, as they are low GI and don't have high fructose like agave syrup. They don't raise blood sugar levels. I now use them for baking where necessary.