+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overseas with 6 mth old - HELP

I need help! I am trying to pack for an overseas trip for 3 weeks.. I have no idea what to take and how many of each thing.

Also need tips for flying with bub! Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by PorkyPies; 26-07-2012 at 15:21.

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've travelled quite extensively with our girls but it has always been to tropical or warm destinations which meant quick drying clothes, and light fabrics.

My best advice for the plane and airport and potential weather at any destination is lots of light layers, planes can range from being humid & stuffy to quite cool, so light layers gives many options and can usually be stuffed into carry on luggage when being removed. Don't over do it in the nappy, formula, food department. If we can find all these things with ease in third world countries you will have no problem in London, take what you need for the travelling plus enough for an additional 36-48hrs incase of delays.

We took a bag of toys for bubs on the plane, her fave books, soft & chewable toys (nothing noisy) peek-a-boo, this little piggy, twinkle little star and other nursery rhymes with actions will be your best entertainer at this age so make sure you brush up on your songs & rhymes. If bubs is into 'watching the screen' an iPad can be useful if you have one, colours, sounds (playschool app is a good one) can entertian for 15 mins or so.

I would ensure you have a dark coloured blanket (they often carry them onboard) the light can bother babies and make falling asleep difficult, a travel pillow or one of those animal/pillow cushions are handy, it's surprising how heavy their tiny heads can get after a few hours and if s/he is lying on you, you will be glad to have the pillow as a buffer.

The best thing you can take however ius a hug-a-bub, ergo or other carrier. We found this especialy helpful disembarking, it meant we had a hold on bubs and hands free to carry luggage. A carrier also super useful when you are using taxi's and public transport, attending events or shows that might not be pram accessible (think stairs - they are everywhere) and when sightseeing and negotioating old, rickety or worn paths which stroller wheels seem to stick in. If you are taking the car seat, look into a luggage carrier, you can use an occy strap to attach the car seat to it and use it as a mini pram in the airport.

If you are taking a stroller ask them if they can take it from you at the gate (many will by request), many Aus airports want your to check them with your onboard baggage and we found that holding bubs for a few hours before the flight and then for many hours during the flight left us with a very cranky bubba, let's face it airport carpet isn't exactly crawl friendly.

HTH - will post again if I think of anything else.

PS DON'T FORGET TO PACK THE CAMERA!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to In My Stride For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (26-07-2012)

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    aaagghhh just remembered re bottles, dummies, sterilisation etc

We borrowed a tommy tippee travel sterliser - quite frankly it did no more than a tupperware container, it fit two bottles, teats & couples of dummies in it at once. ANy sealed container will work, just cover the items with boiling water and leave until cool and you are done. We took 4 bottles and (because you can never find htem in asia) 6 dummies & 2 water cups for 3 weeks.

We also bought cheap cups & bottles with handles so we could secure them to the side of the carrier or stroller, they love tossing things at this stage and if you're planning to be out for a whole day you can't run back home for a fresh cup. We used plastic toy links to make a chain and popped one through the handles and secured the other end to the pram frame or carrier, it saved a lot of lost items, we often found them dangling on the toy link chain. We also used this to secure a baby toy in the same way.

I also use them to secure kitchen cupboards but I'm sure that's an idea for another thread lol!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to In My Stride For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no tips for packing, cos well, i overpack everytime! I do try and write a list though and take set outfits, so that I'm not just takingrandom bits of clothing. I even went as far as taking a list with me that looked like this:
    Day 1: blue shorts, green t
    Day 2: white romper
    etc etc.

At home, at that age, DS would probably get a clean set of pjs each night, when going on holiday I stretched that out to 2-3 nights. Taking less pjs.

As for the plane, in my stride covered nearly everything I was going to say, the only other thing I would add is to get on nearer last than first. Its very tempting to get on when they call priority and those with children but I have found sitting on a plane with a toddler on your knee for 20-30mins whilst everyone else gets on and gets organised means you are already using all your plane tricks before you have even left he runway!

I also try and make sure that I take a bag that I can put under the seat in front of me rather than the overhead compartment so that if I do need something I dont need to get up all the time.

DS has flown an embarassing amount of times and I've never had an issue.

oh! And if you are flying at night put him in his pjs!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We travelled o/s when my son was 6 months and again when he was 1 yr.
    Both times he was breastfeeding. I made the mistake when he was 6 months to try and "hold off" feeding him until we started taxiing.. that was too long for him, and he cried and cried, and didn't latch on til we'd really taken off. I should have started feeding him before we started taxiing.

Some planes have bassinet seating available, so ask for that row (usually row 1) when you're checking in. Every time we checked in they gave us a row with an extra seat, which was nice.

I also don't take books with me from home. I know airports are expensive but I always buy books there, so they're fresh and new and DS hasn't read them before.

Ohhh, and also not all airports have microwaves in their parents rooms for bottles if you need. When we needed a bottle warmed up we asked a cafe for a glass of hot water to sit it in. Even on board they were reluctant to give us "hot" water!

Otherwise, it's really not that bad flying with kids. Just keep them eating when taking off and landing to keep them swallowing and their ears ok. Have fun!

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I took DS to England and Paris for three weeks by myself at this age and these were my top tips:

*Take mostly onesies as they pack down small and are easy to wash and dry by hand if needed (can use a hairdryer to dry them too) and can double as PJs. I took about eight onesies, 8 singlets, a couple of warm jackets and hats (it was summer in the UK).

*Pack both of you into one suitcase if you can. Juggling a baby and luggage is HARD esp if you have a pram as well. I took one suitcase, a baby carrier, a travel pram and a backpack.

*Best things in my backpack were nappy bags (for disposing of them) and chew toys. Backpack can double as a daypack when you are there. Plan your daypack and make sure it's full every morning. Things like a set number of nappies, snacks, nappy disposal bags, bum cream, heaps of wipes, couple of chew toys, baby sunscreen, a hat etc.

*Try to time feeds for takeoff and landing as the pressure can hurt their ears and sucking helps them equalise. Otherwise a dummy if you use one.

*Request the bassinet seats if you are flying economy, they are a bl00dy godsend on long flights. Ask as SOON as you book.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found ds would poop on take off and lansing when I flew with him at 7 months. Pack plenty of nappies and a top/ change for you.
    A nappy change mat is handy- comfy for them to lie on in the toilets when you change their nappies and you can have nappiea in it for a simple change. I had outfits for ds packed in zip lock bags and had them under the seat in front.
    A dummy chain is good to put toys on.
    Sard wonder soap is good to take
    You may not be able to get your brand of formula so take it with you. You will have room for shopping on the way home.
    Pack mix and match clothes for your child in case you need to layer or they dirty only the top
    It is amazing what will occupy them- wrappers, cups and bottles. Ice is good but depends on the water quality

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (29-07-2012)