+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Insulin Resistant

I've just had result from my FS to tell me that I am insulin resistant and they want to put me on Metformin. I don't have PCOS which is generally common for IR. Has anyone else had this situation? Did you go on the medication? Did it help you conceive? I'm confused because everyone keeps telling me to not go on the medication prescribed and try resolving with diet, I am worried about how long it would take to control that way and take even longer for us to get our long awaited baby!

Sorry for the ramble...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I have insulin resistance and don't have pcos. I'm on metformin for it. I wasn't aware insulin resistance affected fertillity though?
    I haven't had any problems being on metformin. Initially my skin cleared up somewhat but that seemed to plateu over a while. Weight loss never happened which is dissapointing. I have no negative side affects from being on them though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm due to see the FS on Tuesday so will find out more. But I have been researching on the net and found that it can affect fertility due to cell imbalance. Not 100% sure so hopefully I get some answers soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dream girl View Post
    I'm due to see the FS on Tuesday so will find out more. But I have been researching on the net and found that it can affect fertility due to cell imbalance. Not 100% sure so hopefully I get some answers soon.
    Oh ok.. I never knew that. I've never had fertillity issues either though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat. On metformin for insulin resistance without PCOS. I doubt your FS would prescribe it to you if it hurt fertility significantly. Women with PCOS get put on it to help fertility so I can't imagine why it would be different for us...

I'm curious if anyone has an answer here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on Metformin for slight insulin resistance (i do have PCO). My FS told me that Metformin can increase your egg quality and can also reduce miscarriage (which is more common if you have PCOS). So i think it would only help fertility rather than have a negative impact?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on metformin when I was trying to conceive (I have PCOS and tested positive for insulin resistance). It helped me go from having no menstrual cycle to more regular one, and when I got pregnant (with the help of Clomid) I stayed on metformin for the first trimester because my FS said it reduces chance of miscarriage.

I want to take metformin again before I start trying for bub no.2 but my new FS (old one retired) says I'm no longer insulin resistant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I was on metformin when I was trying to conceive (I have PCOS and tested positive for insulin resistance). It helped me go from having no menstrual cycle to more regular one, and when I got pregnant (with the help of Clomid) I stayed on metformin for the first trimester because my FS said it reduces chance of miscarriage.

I want to take metformin again before I start trying for bub no.2 but my new FS (old one retired) says I'm no longer insulin resistant.
    oh this for me too, Metformin regulates your cycle. The only bad thing is it can make you feel pretty sick. I'm on 1500 and i still feel a bit sickly when i wake up in the morning but i try to take it at about 8 at night so the nausea hits me while I'm asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of your information ladies! Will update more after I see FS this afternoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say that it is possible to fix insulin resistance without metformin, just with diet alone. I have PCOS and was insulin resistant but made huge changes in diet and was super strict and it's gone away! Basically it's a no sugar & low GI diet that is based around whole foods and plenty of protein. Low carb for me has worked best....the only carbs I get these days are from veggies & legumes. Worked a treat! Hope it works out for you, hugs ox