+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Staying in bed when sick is a punishment??
    No way not in my opinion if they need to stay in bed they stay in bed, But it depends on the illness with my daughter we encourage her to get up and move around if she is able to and ready to , but if she isnt then she stay in bed, If she is home sick for reasons she dont need to be in bed then she isnt, we have no hard fast rules for sick days they are determind by the illness. Home with flu, yes in bed or on the couch ( who am i kidding if she has the flu she on the ward ) home after surgery encourage to move around if she can, staying home cause of blood sugar issues activity as tolerates etc etc etc

  2. #32
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It becomes my concern when sh tries to play here and I don't want anyone to catch anything.
    My friend spent a chunk of time off of school when we were young because she was sick. You would never have known she was sick, it was not a physical illness

    My suggestion would be to tell her your DD can't play OR speak to her mother about it OR ...just move on.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,738
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked
    438
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SAB, considering all the issues you have with your neighbours children coming into your yard and the fact you are about to start family day care I think it's time you stood up for yourself and speak to the parents and make them realise they can not treat your yard as their own! If that doesn't work call the police for trespassing!

    This could effect your business, personally I wouldn't leave DD somewhere I knew other kids where coming and going as I'd be concerned about what they may bring over, whether it be illness or something worse, there's also the issue of how secure the premises are if these children can simply come and go.

    Just a thought.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think the child is sick.

    Some parents do not send their kids to school. I've got a child in my class who was away 33/100 days last semester, and hasn't returned yet this term, and we are at the end of week 2. I also have another child who was absent 77/100 days last semester. I have several other students who are absent more than the average. Attendance should be around 92%. Some parents just can't be bothered, maybe she just isn't sick and the mum can't be bothered fighting with her to go to school.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    788
    Thanked
    1,847
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my only suggestion....get a better gate/fence.

    You don't like this kid coming over as she pleases...so, put a true physical barrier in the way.

    It does sound frustrating, but i do agree the "why she is off school" is not really your business. What is your business, is that this child is in your yard without invite/welcome/permission.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

    singlemumma82  (26-07-2012),Witwicky  (26-07-2012)

  7. #36
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think the child is sick.

    Some parents do not send their kids to school. I've got a child in my class who was away 33/100 days last semester, and hasn't returned yet this term, and we are at the end of week 2. I also have another child who was absent 77/100 days last semester. I have several other students who are absent more than the average. Attendance should be around 92%. Some parents just can't be bothered, maybe she just isn't sick and the mum can't be bothered fighting with her to go to school.

    Yes but we dont know either way so is it fair to assume she is lying ??

    My daughter only attended about 2 months of kindy. then about 6 months of pre primary, and the 6 months she was there she had lots of days of, So far year one has been good she has one day of a week each week as a rest day ( instagaged by drs and ED dept agree) and she has days of for what i explained above, but too someone not knowing the situation only being told she is of school but looks fine you would likely form the same opinion that im to lazy to take her to school

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Yes but we dont know either way so is it fair to assume she is lying ??

    My daughter only attended about 2 months of kindy. then about 6 months of pre primary, and the 6 months she was there she had lots of days of, So far year one has been good she has one day of a week each week as a rest day ( instagaged by drs and ED dept agree) and she has days of for what i explained above, but too someone not knowing the situation only being told she is of school but looks fine you would likely form the same opinion that im to lazy to take her to school
    As ana gram said, your child's circumstances are completely different.

    I don't have any children in my class who have severe disabilities or any other disorders. Some parents are slack. I'm sure the teachers would understand your circumstances. I don't think anybody would be reporting you to the HSLO.

    OP, *if* child is sick, then I would be telling the mother that she can't come and play in your yard.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    What do your kids do on "sick days" when the have time off school?

    If dd is really sick, she stays in bed. If she seems better and shows no symptoms by 10am (morning tea time) she is taken to school. If it is after morning tea time (10.30 finish) she is simply told she has to stay in bed with a book.

    If she is home, not feeling sick but showing symptoms (unexplained rash) then she is given work sheets to do. Even in a doctors waiting room she sits and does work sheets and doesn't play.

    The kid from next door has been home all week too "sick" for school but has been outside running and playing. Her mother never comes outside so I have not spoken to her, but she wants my dd to play with her which I have not allowed. She is off school because she is either sick, or showing symptoms of sickness, or because she is excluded for some reason. I do not want my child exposed to whatever she has, but she was just on our swings so I had to send her home.
    My boy isn't at school yet but I jut wanted to say I like your style and may borrow it when the time comes.

  10. #39
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As ana gram said, your child's circumstances are completely different.

    I don't have any children in my class who have severe disabilities or any other disorders. Some parents are slack. I'm sure the teachers would understand your circumstances. I don't think anybody would be reporting you to the HSLO.

    OP, *if* child is sick, then I would be telling the mother that she can't come and play in your yard.

    yes i realise that but my point is to a neighbour that does not know our circumstances they could see her at home and jump to the same conclusion then go post on a forum and people jump to the same conclusion.

    We dont know this kids sittuation yes she may not be sick the mum may be to lazy to take her but she also may be a child with any number of reasons to be off school, fact is we dont know other peoples circumstances and sick kids are not all that rare.

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    yes i realise that but my point is to a neighbour that does not know our circumstances they could see her at home and jump to the same conclusion then go post on a forum and people jump to the same conclusion.

    We dont know this kids sittuation yes she may not be sick the mum may be to lazy to take her but she also may be a child with any number of reasons to be off school, fact is we dont know other peoples circumstances and sick kids are not all that rare.
    Given the OP has written the word sick in inverted commas, I think she has her doubts as well, and being her neighbour, knows her better than anyone. So I was giving my thoughts from that.


 

Similar Threads

  1. CCB with 2 kids in care (school & not attending school)
    By sharvs in forum Childcare Options
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-07-2012, 09:55
  2. Help! Child claiming sick everyday at school!
    By troopingfairy in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 07:52
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-01-2012, 14:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!