+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I can't think of anything that would mean extended time off other than compulsory exclusion when they are well enough to be outside from sun up to sun down, and while she cannot tell me why she is home other than "sick" I see no reason for her to be here. I've had to keep my child from playing in her own yard because no amount of talking can keep the kid out of our yard. By all means outside, but off visiting?

Why should she tell you why she is off school other than that she is sick, I can tell you for SURE if you asked y daughter what was wrong with her she would hide behind my leg or say nothing there is NO WAY she would tell you what is wrong with her.

There may be a number of reasons and they may be personal, the poor girl may have started her first period at a young age and her mum is giving her the first one home to get used to using pads and what not, she may have a metobolic disorder, she may have any number of reasons to be of school and she shouldnt be interigated by people about what that is. If she is never at school then yer there may be an issue but if she is usualy at school then is having time if then its obviously for a reason.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Amira  (26-07-2012),mrswhitehouse  (26-07-2012),PomPoms  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends what they have. Sometimes they are on the couch, other times they are quietly playing.

I agree with everything Nowhere said . My kids have had some days off this week. They have had a viral illness temps etc. I took my younger daughter to the doctor who said she needed two days off. On the second day she was playing outside for a while.

I also know that if you do too much you can have a relapse of the virus. Just because you can't see the reason she is sick or away then you don't need to get all uppity about it.

People seem so quick to jump to conclusions these days, or maybe it is just on here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It becomes my concern when sh tries to play here and I don't want anyone to catch anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do not punish for being sick, but I do make sure there is no visiting people until she is better. Tomorrow I have daycare kids here, I hope to be able to take them outside without someone else's sick kid ignoring my demands to leave the yard. All I want to know is if it's catching. I was also wondering how other people handle sick days. Not sure why you feel I punish Nowhere???

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    im not saying you punish for being sick im saying in MY house we make a sure DD doesnt feel she is being punished for being sick, ie we dont do the rules if your home sick you must stay in bed you must this that or the other, but in saying that my DD isnt one to say she is sick if she isnt because when she is sick she is in a terrible way so she wont fake it so maybe its easier for us.

If you dont want her playing in your yard tomorrow perhaps go around to the house and nock on the door and have a friendly chat with mother and explain to her that her little girl cant be in your yard when you have day care kids over because of ratios and what not

Also maybe let her know that if her daughter has a contagious illness that she cant play with your child or the others. but you do not need to know what her condition is

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I treat my kids the same way I want to be treated when home sick from work.

Rest as much as needed. Eat if possible. Go outside if up to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Surely if the kid is older than 5 (not sure how old), you just say your kid can't play today or something like that and tell the kid they can't come over today? I can't think of any kid I know who would come back after I told them that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't have any strict rules like staying in bed all day and if they seem better by a certain time then they go to school etc.

Depends on what the problem is. They could be resting in bed or on the lounge or even playing with toys. Its a case by case basis at to what they do depending on whatever is wrong with them. Just no running around or on the trampoline etc and definately no playing at other peoples houses. Oh, and it goes without saying no after school activities if they have been off sick because if they are too sick for school then they would definately be too sick for gymnastics and swimming.

I heard of someone with a son older than my DD1 who was suspended from school and he was able to do whatever he wanted every day. Basically like an extra school holiday. I most definately don't believe in that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Surely if the kid is older than 5 (not sure how old), you just say your kid can't play today or something like that and tell the kid they can't come over today? I can't think of any kid I know who would come back after I told them that.
    These kids do my head in. I have to get cranky and that only sometimes works. I've had to keep my child indoors out of her own yard because I don't want her to get sick.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Staying in bed when sick is a punishment??