+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mail theft

Hi

My husband works in a small town during the week and rents a unit in a complex of 5 units.
    He lives in #3 and the guy who lives in #5 used to live in #3 for 5 years but moved into #5 when it became vacant.

Old mate in number 5 hasn't had his address changed in anything so DHs box is always full of old mates mail which DH puts into the correct box for him but just lately he has been getting no mail what's so ever an as a result his power bill was paid late and all important communication from his real estate is not getting received. He didn't even know his real estate had changed to another one and a letter sent out to all tenants in the complex as a reminder about noise he never got.
    He has tried putting a note in his mail box saying leave my mail alone but it still keeps going missing. He has also told the real estate that he is not getting his mail and suspects #5 is taking it but they have done nothing.
    There is no little loopy thing so he can't put a padlock on it either.

DH went in to pay his rent yesterday and was told that issues had come up during their inspection (he hadn't done his dishes from the night before... boo frickin hoo!!) and he got angry at them because he didn't get notice that thy were coming and reminded them that he has informed them several times that his mail is going missing and to send notices and important stuff via email.... Their response "get a po box"

Old mate works nights and DH works days but has been trying to catch him coming home so he an confront him.

Is mail theft illegal or just frowned upon? I know identity theft is a major issue these days so would hate money to start going missing on us! What else can we do to stop this guy? Who can we report it to if anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes it is illegal. Our postie got done a few years back, He was stealing random piece of mail. When they raided him he had a invite for one off dd friends party and a heap of our bills. We actually had a bill go to debt collectors because he had stolen the bill and the reminder to pay. Sorry I don't know who to call. The police contacted us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Contact Australia Post or the AFP - they should be able to let you know what steps to take.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes take it further, it's illegial. We have had all sorts of mail go missing in the last 8 months, including a lot of very important things but also chrissy presents etc. I wrote a massively long and very upfront complaint to Aus Post and all the postal workers eot their butts kicked, our mail lady is now extremely careful with our mail.

We bought a tag for the dogs collar the other day on Ebay so that will be a big test to see if we get it or not.

But I did have some bills go to debt collectors for missing mail, and also received a letter that was posted form 3 suburbs over in Oct 2011 and only received it a few weeks ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Can your DH put a lock on his mail box?
    A similar thing happened to me. I moved into a house and the people that use to live there moved next door. So they thought it was their right to come and raid our letter box. I caught the guy doing it one day, he had a letter from my insurance company in his hand. Apparently he just wanted to give it to me??
    I put a lock on the mailbox and spoke to the owner of the house who said she would talk to the old tenants.

I think a lock would be the way to go. Then your DH can R.T.S all the other guys mail. Maybe your DH could write a letter stating it's a federal offence to take/read someone else's mail and that he has notified the police. Maybe a threat would be enough to make the guy stop?
    Otherwise if all else fails i think a PO box would be the way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.
    Harvest there is no where to actually put a lock unfortunately otherwise he would have one from day dot!
    I will suggest he write another note stating its an offense, the first one he put in the box pretty much said "stop touching my F$&@king mail" lol
    The guy I think would be sh!t scared if hubby scared him with the law, bit of a nerdy type so hopefully like you said it is enough

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Take it further, it's illegal. In the interim, can your hubby get the real estate and other important letters forwarded to your home address instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get a PO box or have it re directed to your place.
    Problem solved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Get a PO box or have it re directed to your place.
    Problem solved.
    He shouldn't have to pay for a PO box just because someone else can't keep their hands to themselves.....

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to siege For This Useful Post:

angelini  (27-07-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (27-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (27-07-2012),mad house mumma  (26-07-2012),Mod-Myztik  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mail theft is a serious offence.
    But you must be able to prove it.

Get a PO box. Problem solved.