View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is what it is though - to call it real milk or even just milk would be misleading.

I understand many mums feel bad they can't breast feed, but thinking the term 'artificial milk' is inflammatory seems a bit misdirected. It applies to all powdered milk, not just formula.

PS I never use the term myself I use the term formula when referring to baby formula
    Last edited by Baracuda; 26-07-2012 at 15:49.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Baracuda For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally dont find it offensive. I struggled with bf and only managed 3 months with DD before i switched to formula.

I can understand how some would find the term offensive tho

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Erm - why can't we just call it formula? As I said before - that doesn't suggest breastmilk, it suggests formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    It is what it is though - to call it real milk or even just milk would be misleading.

I understand many mums feel bad they can't breast feed, but thinking the term 'artificial milk' is inflammatory seems a bit misguided. It applies to all powdered milk, not just formula.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-07-2012),Guest654  (26-07-2012),PomPoms  (26-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't necessarily think it is offensive but like with anything I suppose you'd use it within context.. As someone who had supply problems and the guilt and depression that seems to come with it - I don't find the term offensive now, but whilst I was in my throes of oversensitivity and self blame it might've been harder to hear 'oh so you're feeding with artificial milk' as I so badly wanted to give my girls 'natural milk' iykwim. I've heard formula called worse tho lol
    Being offended by every little thing is too tiring and gives ppl far more power over you than they should have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the term itself is not offensive. I think the way in which it is used eg tone, context etc can be and has been.

I have seen it used on here passive aggressively as previous posters have said in this thread.

I can't see why it can't be called formula either I don't know why it has to be misleading it is what it is. People use formula to feed their baby, doesn't suggest anything other than what it is....formula.

I formula feed both my children from birth. Say what you like I call it formula and when they asked what they had after seeing their Aunty breastfeeding I said they had formula in a bottle. I don't see what is misleading or confusing about that. If they ever ask why I didn't breastfeed I will tell them, I don't hide it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Erm - why can't we just call it formula? As I said before - that doesn't suggest breastmilk, it suggests formula.
    I do call it formula (for baby formula)... What's your point? It was an objective reply to the OP, speaking generally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For those who say 'it is what it is', then why not call ALL processed foods 'artificial XYZ'?

Tomato sauce has stuff added - it's not just tomato. So... 'artificial tomato sauce'.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),ChickyBee  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I do call it formula (for baby formula)... What's your point? It was an objective reply to the OP, speaking generally!
    I meant generally - why can't we call it formula, I am meaning more about those who use it as an insult or passive aggressive dig here on BH - I didn't mean specifically you.

I just don't get why we can't call it formula. We don't call c/sections artificial birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    For those who say 'it is what it is', then why not call ALL processed foods 'artificial XYZ'?

Tomato sauce has stuff added - it's not just tomato. So... 'artificial tomato sauce'.
    I like that. I'm going to start doing this, says me sitting here under my artificial illumination

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),Boobycino  (26-07-2012),delirium  (26-07-2012),Guest654  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would never call it fake milk or artificial milk- and i have NEVER heard of it being referred to as that- it's milk? or formula? When I needed to feed DS when he was a bubby I didn't say "Come to mummy, time to feed you for artificial milk" I just said, "Come to Mummy, time for milk!!!"
    It doesn't offend me- but if I heard someone refer to it as that, I would laugh, and say oh, ok- you mean MILK??? LOL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (26-07-2012)